Author Topic: new to site, thinking about gettin pilot  (Read 1894 times)

twostrokes4ever250

new to site, thinking about gettin pilot
« on: October 31, 2004, 01:13:34 AM »
hi, iam new to the site, and am thinking of getting a pilot. my only concern is the belt, whats the mainmance on the belt, what happen when they get wet? can you drive a pilot when its rainly out and the ground is wet? what happen when the belt gets durt on it? i would really appreciate it it somone could help me out with these quistions.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 08:12:06 AM »
Welcome to the site!

Belts and water...

They are usually fine in wet conditions, but they don't like being submerged or run where they are subject to a direct "watering" all the time.  The belt will slip and produce heat, which kills the belt.   It's not a major concern, though, as it's pretty well protected.

If the only concern about getting a Pilot is belt issues, then go get a Pilot.  The belt is very reliable and works very well in many different conditions.

You do want to keep at least one spare belt with you at all times, though.  One never knows when the belt's gonna quit playing.

One way to extend the life of a belt is to break it in.  Yea, you read that correctly - one of the few things you actually need to break in...

Clean the faces of the clutches with a scotch brite pad (don't get carried away, just make sure everything's nice and clean) then install the new belt and run the Pilot at a moderate load (just go play, but don't go ripping around yet) for about 5-10 min.  Let the belt cool down, then do it again.

The belt will actually take a temper and sort of heat treat itself.  The idea is to seal the pores of the outer edges where the belt rides against the clutches.  It should give your belt a longer life and better performance.

I wouldn't have believed it until I started doing it on my desert car - the belt life definitely increased.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

tsutton44

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 08:19:13 AM »
I learn something new everyday  :D  email on the way skeeter.

twostrokes4ever250

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 03:25:14 PM »
alright thanks a lot, i am going to try and get one sometime in the near future thanks (got to sell the 250r and 400ex i have right now)

Ramjet

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 09:54:54 AM »
I see you have a 400ex. Nice machine.

I own both a Pilot and a 300ex. Love the Pilot; like the 300ex. It EX I use when I just want to bop around and don't feeling like washing the Pilot.  :wink:

Can't add anything to what Moskito just wrote. He is wise in the way of the Pilot.

Go for it! You won't regret it one bit.

Aussie Duner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 07:39:25 AM »
I wanted a Pilot that bad i had one shipped all the way to Australia from California and of all ATV's ive owned in my 41 years,trikes,quads,odessey's its the best damn machine i have ever had.Dont think about it for a second more,go out and get one now !

Aussie Duner :wink: