Author Topic: FL350 BRAKES  (Read 8150 times)

fl350

FL350 BRAKES
« on: October 04, 2004, 10:06:13 AM »
I JUST PURCHASED A 350 ODYSSEY, THE BRAKES WERE NOT WORKING. I HAVE REBUILT THE MASTER CYLINDER AND THE REAR CALIPER. ADJUSTED THE FRONT SHOES AND THE REAR PADS AS PER THE SHOP MANUAL. THE FRONT BRAKES WORK GREAT BUT THE REARS DON'T WORK AS WELL AS I WOULD LIKE. I CAN LOCK THE FRONTS BUT THE REARS WONT , THEY JUST SLOW ME DOWN A LITTLE. IS THIS NORMAL? I HAVE BLED THE SYSTEM MANY TIMES. ANY HELP OR IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS....

fl350

FL350 BRAKES
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 10:09:10 AM »
THIS THING IS A BLAST!!!!!

Odyknuck

• View Profile
FL350 BRAKES
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 10:44:46 AM »
You have just the oposite of what most guys experience. Usally the rears work great and the fronts suck. Have you blead the master cylinder? lossen the line right at the master and bleed it like you would the rear caliper. Also elevate the rear of the buggy over night to allow any air bubbles in the line to migrate to the rear caliper.

fl350

FL350 BRAKES
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 11:51:54 AM »
THANKS I WILL TRY IT, AND LET YOU KNOW.
THERE ARE SMALL PLASTIC SCREENS IN THE BOTTOM OF THE MASTER CYLINDER, DO THEY HAVE TO BE IN THERE?
ALSO WHAT IS THE NORMAL ENGINE TEMP. I AM MEASURING THE TEMP AT THE SPARK AREA WITH AN HAND HELD IN-FARED TEMP GAGE. ITS RUNNING AROUND 230TO 250 DEGREES  WHEN I RUN IT PRETTY HARD FOR ABOUT 20 MIN. THE OUTSIDE TEMP IS ABOUT 68 TO 75 DEGREES.

Joe Odyssey Rider

• View Profile
FL350 BRAKES
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 12:24:28 PM »
Many guys have trouble bleeding the brakes normally as you might do a car.  I followed another's suggestion of using the Mighty Vac (not sure of spelling), which is available through most auto parts stores.  You can do your brakes yourself without help using this neat little thing.  Mine never worked right until I used it.

Ok, now, tell us how you did your front brakes, mine still don't work all that great ... I most certainly can't lock 'em up!

Odyknuck

• View Profile
FL350 BRAKES
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 01:52:12 PM »
One more thing I forgot to mention is the cable adjustment. Make sure its tight enough so you are pushing the master before you actually use the brakes. You will have to experiment with it so you dont get it so tight to lock the brakes up when things are hot. The rear brake handle should feel firm when used.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Levers
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 07:17:26 PM »
There are two very small screws on the front of the yoke. These have lock nuts on them inside the yoke. You can loosen the lock nuts and back off the screws to give you more lever travel. The levers on most machines seem to be setup for a 12 year olds hands. I move them out as far as I can and still grab them. If you cannot move the screws or need more, you can also loosen the part that the cables go into, pull the levers out and put them back in shifted a spline or two.  With everything else in working order, this will give you enough lever to lock up all four tires on pavement.

You also want to completely change the fluid, not just bleed it. You will actually want to run enough through to flush out the crud. You don't really need to worry about the high end fluid much. The DOT standards are for the boiling point with a precentage of water in the fluid. The dry rating is much higher. If you change your fluid every year, you do not need to worry about the wet rating, only the dry. You can find inexpensive fluid with nearly as high of a dry boiling point as the very expensive stuff.

fl350

FL350 BRAKES
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 11:54:42 AM »
ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE I ASKED FOR HELP. AND I  GOT A CHANCE TO TAKE THE ODY FOR A TRIP IN THE NORTHERN PART OF MICHIGAN. IT RAN GOOD. NO PROBLEMS.  JUST WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THE HELP ON THE BRAKES. THEY WORK A LOT BETTER. I STILL THINK THEY COULD BE BETTER BUT GOOD FOR NOW. IM PUTTING NEW REAR PADS ON THIS WINTER. THAT SHOULD HELP. THANKS AGAIN.

ludedude

• View Profile
FL350 BRAKES
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 12:36:24 PM »
Glad you got the help ouy needed ;)

aceperk

• View Profile
rear brake caliper rebuild
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 11:44:41 AM »
What is the trick to seating the 'O' ring that seals the shaft of the caliper piston? I can not get it to seat in the 'pocket", then when the shaft goes through it cuts the "o' ring. If i slide it on the shaft, it will not 'seat' in the cavity. Help PUHLEASE!
[email protected]
www.gsxronly.com