Author Topic: Nerf Bars  (Read 1639 times)

Damon

Nerf Bars
« on: September 16, 2004, 08:47:46 PM »
I was woundering if anyone has had problems with trees and there rear tires catching. I ride in some pretty tight areas and was wondering if anyone has solved the same problem i'm having with a pair of Nerf Bars. I havn't bought any yet because i don't wont to spend the money if there not going to fix the problem i'm having, which is just barely catching the edge of my rim and kicking me out so quick that it rolls me every time, this has happened 3 times now. just thought someone might have some insight.

thanks Damon

redrider

• View Profile
Nerf bars and trees :)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 08:57:57 PM »
The nerfs will keep you from hooking the tree in most cases.  However, if you are carrying good speed through the trees and clip the side enough that the nerf makes contact hard, it will still kick the rear to the side a bit.  Rocketman once hit a tree on his left where the nerf did it's job too well, deflected him to the right and into another tree completely collapsing the right side nerf bar into the side panel.
My nerf bars show the signs of several tree kisses and I'm sure have saved some serious wear and tear on the rear axles and control arms.
The only suggestion I would make is to consider purchasing the ATVR style nerf bars that incorporates a truss type design along the bottom, parallel to the ground.  They are much more rigid and absorb a hit more evenly down the entire length of the nerf.

tsutton44

Nerf Bars
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 11:11:59 PM »
hey damon,you might also consider a different tire.something like the holeshots that hide the rim edge inside the tire.The tire actually protrudes further out than the rim and helps stop that rim edge from catching things.

Damon

Nerf Bars
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 11:29:36 PM »
Thanks for the input guys!

Damon

rocketman

• View Profile
Nerf Bars
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 10:06:13 AM »
Based on your description of your riding area you would love nerfs.  I like to run tight trails and my nerfs have been used many times.  But as Red mentioned they won't totally save you if you hit the tree hard.  For trees you want to the ATVR nerfs.