Author Topic: Digatron Relocation Box - Project Complete!  (Read 5367 times)

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Digatron Relocation Box - Project Complete!
« on: August 15, 2004, 06:41:21 PM »
I've been working on a relocation box for the Digatron and finally finished it today. The original mount that came with the Digatron is a nicely-designed and well-built bracket, but, in my opinion, does not take into consideration those of us who are vertically challenged. :lol: The box I put together is essentially a convenient mounting area that will provide these features:

1. Maintain the Digatron within my line-of-sight while riding so that the programmed emergency lights and necessary data can be seen all of the time.

2. Keep the necessary and fragile wiring end connectors safe within the box while allowing all of the wiring to be cleanly routed underneath the roof panel and down along the roll cage behind me.

3. Keep the Digatron unit safely away from the damaging elements and protected from flying debris.

4. Allow for the easy removal and installation of the Digatron unit via a hinged, drop-down access faceplate and tool-free wing nuts.

I have attached a pic of what the final product looks like to this post. I have uploaded more pics to the gallery showing more detailed views of the project here:

http://www.p-o-ps.com/coppermine_dir/thumbnails.php?album=51

As you will see from these pics, I still have to run all of the necessary cabling to the box, but I need to take care of the bottom-end rebuild project before I get into the Digatron cabling.

Before I go, I'd like to mention that while working on this project, many other uses came to mind. Those of you looking for a sturdy, but convenient and easily accessible storage compartment for tools, a GPS, a fixed area for a video lens, a small camera or just a place to store your beer bottle opener, can forego the step of drilling into the drop-down access faceplate and use the box only for storage.

Either way, I hope this idea helps you as much as it has helped me.

Enjoy!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

Odyknuck

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 08:31:07 AM »
Looks good. Does it obstruct your view out the front?

socalgii

• View Profile
attn pilotsnapper
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 01:55:15 PM »
so where do you store your cheerleaders uniform and  pom-poms now ?

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 03:05:31 PM »
Quote from: "Odyknuck"
Looks good. Does it obstruct your view out the front?

No. I took all of the measurements for the project while I sat in the seat with a pencil, paper, the Digatron unit, a measuring tape and an ice-cold Budweiser long neck!  :lol:

Since I'm not the tallest of the bunch, the bracket that came with the Digatron Pilot Kit, although very well built and a dead-on fit over the steering yoke, did not work for me because it did obstruct my forward vision too much. This project negates the obstruction while still allowing me to take advantage of the Digatron's excellent pre-poofkaboom safety features.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 05:15:24 PM »
Your design will protect your connectors from poor connection due to mud and what not....troubles that I have encountered...

I'm thinking the next generation gauges will have the rev limiter trigger by default, so if a connection goes bad it will trigger the rev limiter....safer than not triggering when needed due to a bad connection.

As well DIgatron has contacted me with info stating their connector supplier has told them of some problem on thier part with the connectors....still getting info on that and what it means to us...

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 05:32:25 PM »
Quote from: "ludedude"
Your design will protect your connectors from poor connection due to mud and what not....troubles that I have encountered...

I'm thinking the next generation gauges will have the rev limiter trigger by default, so if a connection goes bad it will trigger the rev limiter....safer than not triggering when needed due to a bad connection.

As well DIgatron has contacted me with info stating their connector supplier has told them of some problem on thier part with the connectors....still getting info on that and what it means to us...

Lude, I hope so! It's not so much the protection, but seeing forward that I was concerned about. I'm a big guy, like Odykid  :wink: , but I didn't think it was safe to drive the Pilot while sitting on a milk crate!

As for the connectors, please keep us posted. If there's a swap-out or something, I'd rather take care of that BEFORE routing all of these cables!!!  :shock:

Quote from: "socalgii a.k.a. Nick the stand-up comedian"
so where do you store your cheerleaders uniform and pom-poms now ?

Nick, I don't need to worry anymore about the storage of necessary items such as my cheerleader uniform or my pom-poms. Now, I just wear my cheerleader uniform, tie-wrap the pom-poms to my roll cage and ride like the gay, uh, happy guy that I pretend to be!  :P

odykid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 07:59:15 PM »
Well I really don't need a milk crate to see with the digatron I will need 2....haha

Yes Brian the braket is well made like Sniper says but they didn't think of US BIG GUYS when the made it, ot test it.....LMAO :D

Vic where did I left my pink pom-poms? do have then?

odykid :lol:

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 09:29:19 PM »
Quote from: "Odykid"
Well I really don't need a milk crate to see with the digatron I will need 2....haha

Yes Brian the braket is well made like Sniper says but they didn't think of US BIG GUYS when the made it, ot test it.....LMAO :D

Vic where did I left my pink pom-poms? do have then?

odykid :lol:

Two milk crates? LMAO!!!  :lol:

Oh, by the way, your pink pom-poms are here, right next to your Stiletto high heel pumps!  :shock:

odykid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 09:37:00 PM »
Well 2 crates if I am dry, now if it rains and I get wet I will need a phone book guide....LOL

Oh, by the way, your pink pom-poms are here, right next to your Stiletto high heel pumps!

Can you please send it to me I have a party this weekend in "South Beach" with out those I don't see my self on the mirror... LOL .... are you invited???.....haha

Odykid :wink:

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 10:04:11 PM »
Well 2 crates if I am dry, now if it rains and I get wet I will need a phone book guide....LOL

Oh, by the way, your pink pom-poms are here, right next to your Stiletto high heel pumps!

Can you please send it to me I have a party this weekend in "South Beach" with out those I don't see my self on the mirror... LOL .... are you invited???.....haha

Invited? Hell, I'm the HOST!!!  8)

Odykid, what's wrong? Are you "ogay"???  :lol:

odykid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 08:25:09 PM »
Odykid, what's wrong? Are you "ogay"???  

Na that's Marcos..... :lol:

I call you today a few times and yor cell was dead, what was wrong with it?

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 08:39:58 PM »
Odykid, what's wrong? Are you "ogay"???  

Na that's Marcos..... :lol:

I call you today a few times and yor cell was dead, what was wrong with it?

One word, NEXTEL!  :cry:

odykid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 09:07:31 PM »
D**M that bad? I was calling you back for about 3 hours and it keeps telling me the same message.

"All circuits are busy now please try your call again later"  :?

I hate that message....lol :lol:

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 04:02:12 AM »
you two need a room? I mean since the cell phone doesn't work and....you need to exchange pom poms anyhow :) lol

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 12:00:01 PM »
Quote from: "ludedude"
you two need a room? I mean since the cell phone doesn't work and....you need to exchange pom poms anyhow :) lol

Nah! He's not my type!!! (he's too tall) LOL!!!

Oh, and don't forget the high-heeled Stiletto's!  :lol: