Author Topic: removal of stock pilot clutch???????  (Read 3227 times)

sicksand

• View Profile
removal of stock pilot clutch???????
« on: July 26, 2004, 04:04:47 AM »
What is the best way to get the stock clutch off?Do I need two people to get it done?I got the two bolts and the bar thing with my power bloc clutch,but I don't have a clue what they are for.I don't have the instructions so any help would be great,,,,,sicksand

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 08:12:10 AM »
One bolt will thread into the power block shaft, the other will not, that one is for the stock clutch.

Do you have a manual?

http://www.atlanticpaints.com/Manuals/PDF%20Files/PILOT%20FL400.pdf scroll to page 104 (pdf page) manual section 10-0

Then page 108 (10-4)...you'll need a way to hold the clutch (crank) from turning while you loosen the crank bolt. There are different ways to do this. My method was to remove the spark plug and feed a new, clean piece of cloth (won't fray) piece of rope into the cylinder. Feed enough in so that when you rotate the crank, the piston binds up on the rope. Put the the other piece (stepped shaft) into the clutch, into the crank, smaller diameter in first. The thread the bolt into the clutch shaft. Tighten it up until the clutch POPS off.

Use the tech link, top right corner, and look for the power bloc install steps by redrider.

You can make a tool to hold the power bloc from rotating...or..I used a pipe wrench to grab one of the 3 slider housings. slid a piece of pipe over the wrench so that it rested onthe frame.

Hope this helps. Gto more questions...post away.

Odyknuck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 10:32:58 AM »
I would not put a piece of rope in the cylinder. Odds are the piston will pivot on the pin and you could possiably damage the rings, crack the piston skirt and or score the cylinder. Quite a bit of torque has to be applied to the clutch removal bolt to break it loose. All of that force is applied to the soft aluminum piston. Holding the clutch by hand and use an impact wrench on the removal bolt would be a better method.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 10:40:01 AM »
I know it's not a recommended procedure, and I don't recommend it, probably should not have posted it...but it worked for me.

Are you saying explosions in the combustion chamber are uniform and even over the surface of the piston? A piston sees compression figures of 150+ psi, you need ~90 ft lbs to break the bolt loose...I think it can take it....well I know it can :) lol .

But yes holding the clutch is better ;)

Odyknuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 10:57:08 AM »
I would say that the explosion is more even and basis of design for a rotating mass than sticking a rope in there and stopping it dead with no place for it to go. I would also say that there is more force being applied to the piston because of the leverage ratio of the connecting rod to the crank. I just found it odd that you would even gamble that when there are safer methods. There again its just my humble opinion. :lol:

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 11:01:27 AM »
It was told to me by a trusted small engine mechanic. As I said, I don't recommend it, I know there are better methods. I don't like impact guns for that type of work, seen too many of them screw up threads. I like to "feel" the pressure being applied and don't like the "hammering" effect of the inpact gun..wouldn't that transfer to the bearings??

Odyknuck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 11:26:00 AM »
I do agree that sometimes impacts damage the threads and even bend and gaull pullers at times. However these are extreme cases and most of the time the parts tend to pop quickly. I would agree that some of the hammering of the impact is transfered to the bearings. I dont think there would be any more damage to them than what they get under normal operation. The best method would be the proper clutch holder and a breaker bar on the puller. That way both of us will be relieved  Ha! Ha  :lol:
You have an incoming PM.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 11:28:06 AM »
back at ya

Joe Odyssey Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 12:34:03 PM »
Don't know if the pilot clutch is similar to the 350 clutch, but here's how I get mine off:  wrap a tiedown strap around the clutch twice and obviously hook both ends on the frame somewhere.  It will only turn so far and then bind up and the clutch will pop right off.  I use an impact wrench also, but did remove one once in the field with just a breaker bar.
I've done this many times and doesn't seem to hurt the clutch any.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 12:52:20 PM »
Cool, like that one......around the shaft or the outter part of the clutch? I can see doing it on the outter part of the stock one maybe, but the powerbloc is too sloped on it's cover to wrap a strap on there.

Odyknuck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 12:57:16 PM »
I like that ideal too. Good call. It might work on the Powerblock if you can center the strap on the pully edge.

Joe Odyssey Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 01:00:47 PM »
Not familiar with the Power Bloc.  I just wrap the tiedown around the outer surface of the clutch, outside of where the belt rides.  If the Power Bloc has a real sloped surface, this might not work.  I'll bet you could put it around where the belt rides and it would also work ... that might take more than two wraps around, though.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 01:35:56 PM »
More stress on the strap too ;) better be a good one.