Author Topic: PoofKaboom! What Causes The Swiss Cheese Effect?  (Read 7202 times)

Vrroom

• View Profile
PoofKaboom! What Causes The Swiss Cheese Effect?
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2004, 01:48:22 PM »
OK all.....time for your "end of the year" welding engineering lesson.

>> Moskito wrote:
>>"If you decide to weld the pins, don't add material - just use the tig to >> melt the pin and crank together"

Please note: a weld made without the use of filler wire is refered to as an "autogenous" weld.

There now.......don't you feel smarter?

..............ok, I admit it, I'm sitting here at work and I'm bored. I should be out riding my pilot or inventing some kind of cool off-road gadget. But nooooo, I have to sit here until 4:00 with the rest of the nerds.

Vrroom

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2004, 03:50:35 PM »
Quote from: "Vrroom"
OK all.....time for your "end of the year" welding engineering lesson.

>> Moskito wrote:
>>"If you decide to weld the pins, don't add material - just use the tig to >> melt the pin and crank together"

Please note: a weld made without the use of filler wire is refered to as an "autogenous" weld.

There now.......don't you feel smarter?

ah'-toe-jen-us?
Wanna pronounce it corretly before I is smarter...  :D

Quote from: "Vrroom"
..............ok, I admit it, I'm sitting here at work and I'm bored. I should be out riding my pilot or inventing some kind of cool off-road gadget. But nooooo, I have to sit here until 4:00 with the rest of the nerds.
Vrroom

ROFLMAO!!!!

Not me...  Been busy making neat shit for XR50s (http://www.k-fab50s.com - look at the hubs...).

I love this CNC machine now that I'm able to actually carry on a conversation with it.  Still not talking on a college level with it yet - probably Freshman high school - but man it's cool!

Just got metal, time to go make more chips.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

dhjunkie

• View Profile
Fidel... errrr odykid
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2004, 07:48:56 PM »
Just noticed your flying your favorite dictators flag :lol:   I hear he needs soldiers for hire.  You interested?

Vrroom

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2004, 08:06:15 AM »
Moskito,

Glad to here you're busy. I love to play with CNC equipment (and z50/ct70 motors) I try to play with the machines here at work, but the General (GE) doesn't like it when I start making things for my own personal use.
Huh, immagine that!

On the z50 and ct70 stuff.....
A while back, when I worked at a NASA facility in LA (LA as in "Lousiana", not "Los Angeles" or "lower Alabama") I used to write Technical Tips for the International Mini Bike Association (IMBA).
Not that I have any pull or anything like that, but you may want to contact Guy Foster at <http://www.swiftsite.com/minibike> and see if he is interested in selling your minibike parts on his web site. Tell him I sent you (he may remember me?)

Vrroom

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2004, 08:43:03 AM »
Moskito, I'm revamping the store software I have for the 45thParallel Store. If you're interested in that, drop me a line, and I'll give you a tour ;) Exsisting one works decent...new one will be a lot more admin friendly.

rocketman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2004, 07:13:07 PM »
Ludedude I realized I never did respond to your post about being able to ship the tools out early January.  That would be great.  I hope you have good luck with yours.  So you going to try the cranks yourself this time?

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2004, 08:21:33 AM »
I just got the bill for duty/taxes for Vic sending them back to me...this is nuts. Why I have to pay tax on something that's mine just cause it crosses the border is STUPID. I know there's probably a way to do it without paying taxes/duty...but they sure do not make it easy to do so.

The tools do not cost that much to make..err have made. I may try and duplicate them at work and send a set down to be kept on the south side of the border for whoever to use.

I have one crank already rebuilt...I'll wait and see what the other crank looks like when we pull it. I just now remember that I had trouble removing one of the crank bearings from the crank  the last rebuild I did....any suggestions anyone???

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2004, 12:18:29 PM »
Let me guess. The clutch side bearing was a PIA to get off. I used a dremel and cutting wheel to cut the outer cage off. Then i cut most of the way through the inner cage, and used a cold chisel to break the inner cage off the crank. It may sound cavemannish, but it worked. After you have the bearing off make sure you polish the bearing surface with 600 or higher grit sandpaper/emory cloth.

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2005, 01:31:23 PM »
Whoa! I just ran across your post there, bud! After all of the shipping experience we've gathered back and forth between you and I, I've come to a conclusion:

It doesn't matter what you send or how you send it, the government will bill you (or not) at their own will!

PLEASE tell me what the damages are so that I can Paypal you!!! PLEASE!!!!!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock: