Author Topic: Adjusting the Driven clutch  (Read 3315 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
Adjusting the Driven clutch
« on: July 16, 2004, 09:29:45 AM »
Made a tool up to disassemble the driven clutch on the pilot. Had a few spacer rings made up to insert under the plastic cap, on top of the spring. This icreases the tension on the spring, same thing sled guys do. Think I put too much in though  :lol:  She's pretty strong on the bottom and pulls hard through mid speed, but i don't think I get the saem top speed anymore. Haven't done any comparitive testing yet. But it's a pretty simple adjustment.

Pull the battery tray out, remove the clutch, take it apart, put in/remove spacers and re-install....can be done in 20 minutes or less.  :wink:

bleederboy

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 11:29:19 AM »
Just out of curiosity, have you put a new spring in the driven?

The old original that was in my driven clutch was sacked out and tired.  Just installing a new one made it perform better all around.

Interesting on the preload idea.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 12:10:36 PM »
I haven't, but I checked it to the spec's in the manual and it was well within. I plan on checking with Dalton Industries to see if they have any similar springs to try out.

rocketman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 03:36:28 PM »
I'm glad this topic came up.  My driven is still disassembled.  I did not think I would ever get the plastic cap pried out of the spring. It was so tight it seems that the action of the spring would be impeded as it tried to move over the plastic.  Was you plastic cap wedged/stuck/almost bonded to your spring.   I know hoser was fighting the same problem but don't know if a solution was found.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 03:37:56 PM »
It was on pretty good, but i just twisted mine by hand to get it off.... :?

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 03:40:25 PM »
"move over" the spring? Am I thinking of the right part? The "cup" goes over the spring, the spring rides inside, it has a smaller diameter at the end to hold it centered on the spring....is that it...gonna look at parts diagram..brb

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 03:42:17 PM »
part number 9...right?
[/img]

rocketman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 03:42:29 PM »
............can be done in 20 minutes"

It took me over an hour to get the cap out.  
What are your thoughts on this affecting the action of the clutch??

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 03:42:50 PM »
Oh..you mean...#6?

rocketman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 03:44:07 PM »
No that I couldn't get out was #6.  The spring has to slide back and forth over it.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 03:48:15 PM »
If you mean #6....making it harder for the spring to slide. I doubt it would be enough to impede the motion of the clutch. You could always try to clean it up/polish it.

I'm looking to increase the tension to stay in a lower range longer....if top speed is more your concern, it may be an issue....me, i want torque...TORQUE, TORQUE, till I'm squished in the seat :) lol

I've had #6 out too, same thing, by hand twisting motion. If a pilot ios driven in sand a lot I can see it getting blasted and roughed up making it harder to remove. Was it gouged and what not?

rocketman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2004, 04:06:57 PM »
It was pretty rough.  Since I knew hoser had the problem as well, I was trying to figure out if was a common problem or just some isolated cases.  I will try to smooth it out when I get back to it.
Alright Torque King, let us know if we need to pry you out of your seat.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 04:13:02 PM »
Quote from: "rocketman"
Alright Torque King, let us know if we need to pry you out of your seat.

Hopefully!  :lol:  :o

pilotdude

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2004, 05:48:37 PM »
Iknow this might be a little more on the expensive side, but how about a fully adjustable driven clutch? You know be able to swap springs, helix angels and so forth...just like the sled guys. My pilot has the porting, pipe, and clutch, and I keep searching for traction now. Although it has made a big differnce to be able to spin the tires and power slide a corner(rally style driving) I need more traction on the whole shot and out of corners. I just keep spining the tires. Your idea lude is good, and cheaper then my ideas of having another spring made. I had found a company a while back that would make the springs but we would need a min. order of 20, and I didnt think people would be to interested. Im going to try adding a pre-load though, whith all the mud, hill climbs,and stuff I do..I need and LOVE torque..

PD

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2004, 10:13:29 AM »
Adjustable driven like this?  :shock:

1. Pilot tranny input shaft is splined, couldn't find any splined drivens. Pretty easy to make up a new input shaft to match a sled driven though. Or dish out $1200 for a boring bar and we can have those ones above made to fit the pilot spline. But #2 below will still apply.
2. Most sled driven's are larger diameter than the pilot. Means longer belt would be needed and you loose top speed. Unless you replaced the drive clutch as well. Then you're into sled drive pulleys that are not made to withsatnd mud/sand/dirt, they're enclosed in the cab and not exposed to what the pilot clutches see.