Author Topic: Brake rotor backing plate removal!! I'm loosing it fast!  (Read 4568 times)

redrider

• View Profile
Brake rotor backing plate removal!! I'm loosing it fast!
« on: June 19, 2004, 11:56:59 PM »
I need to remove the brake rotor backing plate to replace the tranny seal on the left side.  I do not have a puller BUT, here is what I've tried so far....

Before, during, and after all of the removal methods described below I've bombarded the splined connection with penetrating fuild.  I'm in the seventh day :(

I have used a steel plate and four C clamps as a puller.  Rested the plate against the tranny drive shaft and clamped to the backing plate at four points.  
I've tried just pulling it off with clamp pressure.
I've tightened the clamps (to the point that I've bent the shit out of and ruined all four of them) and tried hammering the plate against the shaft.
I've tried vibrating the plate with a hammer drill with the clamps tightened.
I've tried driving against the plate from the opposite side through the drive shaft with a rod and the BFH.
I've heated the backing plate twice, once trying to use the plate puller as described above and the other time heating it and tapping against all six bolt points from inside out.
I've tried tapping the backing plate at all six bolt points from every angle that I can get at that provides an outward direction (which isn't much as you can only put a hammer on one at a time from under the tranny and spin the plate for every hit).

I'm reluctant to really DRIVE at it using the tapping method as I'm sure that induces bad mojo on the drive shaft and bearings inside.

So, now I'm at my wits end.  I will obtain a puller sometime this week and try that but I can't imagine it getting any easier as it hasn't seemed to budge using any of the methods I've described here.

I haven't tried using dry ice on the drive shaft to try and shrink it.
I haven't set fire to the Pilot to see if I can burn it off.
I haven't taken a cutting wheel to the backing plate and ordered another one.
I haven't removed the tranny and split the case to remove the shaft and drive the backing plate off.

Any thoughts out there?

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 06:50:38 AM »
Rested the plate against the tranny drive shaft and clamped to the backing plate at four points.

Sorry..I'm at work...so I can't jump out to the garage to have a look...

I'm not "seeing" what you're saying.... :oops: I thought...and from what I see on the service honda parts screen...what shaft are you putting your steel plate against?

Once the CV is out...you remove the nut that is on the final shaft holding the backing plate on...and then it's supposed to slide off? Is that correct? Or am i missing some steps?

Is there room to put some bolts with nuts on behind the plate? Turn the bolts out of the nuts..pushing the plate out? Very limited in the stroke...due to thickness of nuts you use...but I've used this method to "break" something free before....

Dunno what else to suggest....sorry... :cry:

Good luck

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 09:47:04 AM »
Looks like its time to pull the tranny and find a press. OR try the puller.

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Try This...
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 10:00:44 AM »
Red,

I got mine off with a little 3M Penetrant spray, a standard gear puller and these step plate adapters from Grainger (one fits perfectly):

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1611752088&ccitem=

You put the skinny side of the step plate adapter into the hollow of the shaft, but the wider side of the plate prevents it from falling into the hollow shaft. The puller's bolt then has a little tittie that matches up perfectly with the hole in the center of the step plate adapter. Put the puller's legs around the brake hub, tighten the puller's bolt and POP, the brake hub comes out!

If you would like to borrow mine, PM me with your mailing address and I'll gather up the stuff and send it to you.

Good luck!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

redrider

• View Profile
Free at last, free at last! I've found a happy place :)
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 11:04:04 PM »
The brake rotor backing plate is OFF!  I was having to put more pressure on the plate than I was comfortable with but with quite a bit of raps with the hammer and continued tightening, the plate broke loose.  It was hard to believe it was that tight of a fit considering the splines do look to have been rusted together.  They were shiny clean where making contact.

Thanks to PilotSniper for sending the puller and step spacers.  My puller was not sufficient and Sniper offered to send his.  This is something that has been and continues to be great about this group.  He would not hear of me reimbursing him for shipping the tools (though I tried hard to convince him that he should).  I'll spend a token amount to ship it back and did not have to go out and buy another tool that might lie around for years before getting used again.  Just for kicks, before returning it, Rocketman will be using it to remove his plate "just because" since he doesn't know how long it's been since it was off, if ever.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2004, 08:16:46 AM »
Awesome! It's great to hear about people helping others out, it's no surprise to me that Vic offered. ;) Glad to hear it worked...hmmm...let me know when the puller's back in your hands Vic.  lol

PilotSniper

• View Profile
IT CAME OFF!!! YEAH!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2004, 06:22:58 PM »
YEAH!!! I knew good news was right around the corner!!! One down, one to go!!! I hope Rocketman has good luck with his as well.

As for the sending of the tools, that's what the brotherhood of Pilot and Odyssey owners is all about. If I were to have paid for all of the advice and time that others have offered to me, I would have needed to take out a loan BIG TIME! It's always a nice feeling to know that we can rely on each other for advice and help. That's what makes owning these fun machines all worthwhile!

I'm certainly happy to read of Red's good news. May Rocketman give us all a repeat performance!

Y'all be good!

P.S. - Lude, what's mine is yours. The only problem is, I can't figure out how to get my wife into the box so that I can ship her to you!  :lol:  LOL!!!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2004, 09:16:20 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  Cool, can't wait to visit!  :P

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2004, 09:16:57 PM »
...errr, I meant for your car! ;)