Author Topic: ? exhuast gas temp  (Read 4227 times)

bpbaggins

• View Profile
? exhuast gas temp
« on: June 16, 2004, 08:31:31 PM »
little help guys. i burnt the side of the piston off about where the vac souse for the fuel pump is. found that the fitting was lose, leaning out that side? new piston and ready to go. stock carb and pipe set screw at 1 3/4. can i use a infrared temp gauge, like we use on cars? and what should the temp be?
In enjoy the day, were not taking the dirt nap!    :D

cwwiedmaier

• View Profile
egt
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 11:08:26 PM »
No a infared temp gun wont work. you cant exactly measure the temp going 60mph  2 inches from the exhaust port on the pipe. That is the time where it is the hottest at about 3/4 to full thottle. That would be difficult and not only that you need measure the temp of the enfurno thats blasting from the jug on the inside. The absolute best way is to get a EGT guage and probe, it can be an engine saver for sure. I run a Digatron with EGT, head temp and RPMs. Its wonderful and for it to be the most accurate it needs to be about 1.75 to 2 inches away from the jug port. I hope this helps.

bpbaggins

• View Profile
? exhuast gas temp
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 04:13:14 PM »
what should the temp be? i what to yest at idle, 1/2 and 3/4 thottle.

cwwiedmaier

• View Profile
egt
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 09:01:26 PM »
Optimum with a 32:1 mix is about 1150 to 1200 degrees F. That is about 3/4 thottle and with short bursts of wide open. I have had temps as high as 1340 but for a very short period of time. After I did that I waited for it to cool and pulled the head. There was no damage. But caution, for any lenth of time at temps over 1300 you WILL have a melt down! @1200 degrees is good that means that the fuel to air  mixture is fine. If others tell you lean it down till the color of the plug is a waffle color or light brown you're asking for trouble. Keep the plug dark, not oily black but a dry charcoal color. I little rich is good little lean and poofkaboom.

bpbaggins

• View Profile
? exhuast gas temp
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 09:04:43 PM »
now is that with a cool head or stock. ive been running a mix about 30 to 1 and the plug is a little black.

cwwiedmaier

• View Profile
egt
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 02:53:39 PM »
A watercooled head will slightly bring that temp down. The watercooled heads that are sold work good for cooling the jug temp not so much the eghaust temp. It helps some dont get me wrong. 1200 degrees egt on a stock head is fine. when you start leaning the fuel thats when temps skyrocket. and ultimately melt your piston like you just experieneced. I am currently working on a watercooled jug-head combination that will really make a difference in effectively cooling the jug. This should really help the cooling problems that all of us have experiened on the fl350. I think after the cooling problem is corrected I can bump compression to about the 170 psi range and gain 10 to 15 horsepower with porting and many other boltons.

cwwiedmaier

• View Profile
egt
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 03:15:00 PM »
heres pics

cwwiedmaier

• View Profile
egt
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 03:18:33 PM »
after hours of porting, machining, cutting, drawing, and welding this is the prototype my head design will be done machining next week.

bpbaggins

• View Profile
? exhuast gas temp
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 07:27:03 PM »
looks good!! being a mechanic  there is always room to improvement! thanks for your help, my daughter will be happy to be back on her Ody. :D

bpbaggins

• View Profile
? exhuast gas temp
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 07:28:22 PM »
ps: did you start with a stock jug?

cwwiedmaier

• View Profile
egt
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 08:29:07 PM »
yes i started with a stock jug the next one i make will still have the fins on the lower half it was a pain in the ass to remove them and clean it up