Author Topic: 5 gallon aluminum gas tank... worth it?  (Read 4815 times)

chambiec1

• View Profile
5 gallon aluminum gas tank... worth it?
« on: June 08, 2004, 10:23:12 AM »
Hey guys, I was sitting back wondering what things to put on my soon-to-be Pilot. I figured I would put on (in no specific order, but the gas tank would most likely be first):
No Rev Limit CDI
Maxxis iRazr's
and maybe a 5 gallon aluminum gas tank from Odyssey Salvage
But my question is: Is the gas tank worth the money? About how long will one tank last during normal trail riding? Is it hard to install?
Thanks!
Casey 8)

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 11:14:57 AM »
First...do you have the money?
If you're limited on funds, hold off and save some. You'll need it for gas and oil...do you need to insure it, register it?

Save some so you have some in a "pot". Once you have a cushion biult for the unexpected...then get some goodies.

Get used to the machine before you start addig, or you won't notice/appreciate the difference.

I know it's hard not to dream and plan, and I'm not saying stop, just slow down.

Hard riding, I get about 2 to 2-1/2hrs running in a pit. I want to start doing some trail riding and use the Digatron gauge to see how far I can actually go on a tank.

chambiec1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 11:55:31 AM »
Most likely my dad would be paying for gas. The reason I was wondering about a 5 gallon tank is because I like to go on long rides. Thanks for your help though, ludedude!
Casey 8)

pilotdude

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 03:28:42 PM »
At paragon, in pa were we ride most of the time with the pilots, we can do a 10-15mile loop on a tank of gas. Our pilots are both ported, and one has the 39mm carb. So in my opion the 5gal axuliary tank is a waste, unless you plan on riding all day w/o stoping back at the truck. If thats the case, then your going to want to also invest in a nice on board tool kit, and a cooler rack, to keep food and drinks. A spare tire mount might also be a good idea..

PD

chambiec1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 03:42:13 PM »
I'm just going to be riding at my house, maybe soom rides(like ECJ). I'm just worried I'll run out of gas.
Casey

PilotHawK

• View Profile
add ons
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 06:10:57 PM »
first off, the FS is in great shape. Forget getting tires, or gas tanks. I ran over 14 miles in 2 motos with it and used no more than half a tank of gas, and that was running it pretty hard. The tires on the machine are almost new so no need for new ones. The guys are right. Save your money for wear items such as belts (~$60 each, and rear brakes ~$40 a set for the rears). You are getting a nice pilot, and I suggest you have it in hand and SEE what you have before asking what you need. Take it easy with the questions until you see what a nice machine this is!

chambiec1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 06:47:11 PM »
Thanks for the responce. With the tires, I was just throwing an idea out for AFTER the one's on it now go kaput. Moskito said it comes with 2 belts, so I think that's covered. I have heard rear brakes wear easy, so I will have to budget for pads.
Casey
BTW- PilotHawk, did you get my email? And di Moskito send you tht pic?

redrider

• View Profile
mileage
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 08:53:19 PM »
I've never tried to figure it to the mile but my Pilot has always been easy on fuel.  Though I run a modified setup (ported motor, torque pipe, dual intake, 39mm carb) I know I can go at least 30 miles before even thinking about running out.  I'm not sure where the reserve fuel light kicks in but I almost always seem to be one of the last in a group to have it come on.  Several of us have figured somewhere near a 40 mile range for a tank of fuel when riding under normal woods trail conditions.
You mentioned a no-rev limit cdi on your wish list.  I'd be surprised if it didn't already have one.
And, before deciding on a set of replacement tires (even though that should be a ways down the road) I'd see how the current setup does, and ask around for opinions on what tread pattern and ply rating performs best for the terrain you'll be running in most of the time.  You may find that a different tread pattern than what you have in mind initially might do better.
As for the who buys the gas for the Pilot  :)  I'd say at your age you might think about trying to bear that load on your own!  hehe  Not to offend bu based on the purchase price (or lack thereof) I'd be hard pressed as a parent to buy the fuel for my (old enough to earn that kind of money) 16 year old.  A major repair is one thing but you have to take on SOME responsibility if you are prepared to enter into the off-road world of Pilots.  A new four-stroke bike or quad is one thing, but these 15 year old machines are quite another and maintaining and operating them is not a cheap endeavor.
Just some food for thought.

chambiec1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 08:58:05 PM »
I'm only 14. I can't get a job yet.
Casey 8)

chambiec1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 08:59:07 PM »
And I am getting the FS free if you didn't already know that...
Casey 8)

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 06:07:03 AM »
Quote from: "chambiec1"
I'm only 14. I can't get a job yet.
Casey 8)

"can't"....don't like that word.....use it with caution :wink:  It's often read as "won't", "not interested", "too lazy", or "don't have enough imagination"

chambiec1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 07:25:01 AM »
Then, could I buy a 6 pack rack and bungee cord a 2 gallon or 3 gallon thing of gas on there?
Casey 8)

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 07:35:33 AM »
Yup. See there's alternative, cheaper thinking

chambiec1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2004, 03:25:07 PM »
The six-pack rack is still $100... so thats prolly the way to go. Anyone have a pic of a Pilot with a six-pack rack on it?
Casey

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2004, 03:27:19 PM »
Does the FS have the rad relocated? I think it does...if so the standard 6 pack racks won't fit :|