Author Topic: fl350 belt  (Read 9413 times)

oleolson

• View Profile
fl350 belt
« on: May 25, 2010, 05:53:12 PM »
I seem to be having trouble eating up belts on my fl350 with comet 102 clutch.  I put the old one back on and it seems to work better than the new ones.  Should I be taking it easy and letting the new belt run in some?  I've been putting them on and hammering it allot instantly.  I read in a snowmobile forum that you'll ruin a new belt if you don't beak it in slow. Just wondering.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: fl350 belt
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:03:43 PM »
I have read about breaking belts in. I have never really had a problem with burning them up though.

This is what I use:
Enforcer FL350 Belt

oleolson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 04:55:14 PM »
I have bought two of the enforcer belts from Aftershock.  I think the belts are fine but I have another problem.  I bought the 102c clutch from someone else before I knew about Aftershock and wonder if it has the wrong cam arms or something.  It is stock except for Boyseen reeds and a 38 mm. Mikuni Carb.  Anyone know how to tell if the clutch has the right cam arms for an fl350?  Thanks for your response livewire.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 09:19:03 PM »
It should have a purple spring in it. The cam arms are listed as N-1, but are not stamped N-1. I would have to look it up. My belt life actually went up when I switched to a 102C (13 years ago or whatever it was). The 102C, at least on mine, grabs the belt and the machine moves. The stock clutch would slip a little off the line.

Are you burning up the belts or are they breaking? There is also the possibility of there being an issue with the driven. The driven resists letting the drive clutch upshift. The amount of resistance sets the belt tension. If the spring in the driven is not wound tight enough, belt tension would be low and the belt will slip.

oleolson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 08:33:23 AM »
The belts are wearing down on the sides making it more narrow.  one side seems to be wearing more than the other.  I have checked all of my mounts thinking that it was an alignment problem.  It does not have a purple spring in it but came with one.  I am going to put the purple one in and see what happens. The driven is new and I have tightened up the spring tension on it. It was way too loose compared to the other 350 that I have with a powerbloc drive clutch on it.  The whole experience has taught me to buy all my parts from aftershock from now on. Will I have to rejet when I put the right spring in the clutch?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 09:56:07 AM »
People will sometimes use a softer spring to lower engagement. The cam arms should be changed if anyrhing. Loosening the driven clutch spring will definately cause belt slippage and wear. I wound mine one more turn tighter than stock.

oleolson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 04:08:34 PM »
Is a semi loud rattle when idling normal for the 102 clutch?  I installed the purple spring and it seems to have made things worse so I guess I'm going to have to adjust the driven spring.  It seems like now it waits too long to shift.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 04:35:30 PM »
The rattle is the cam arms flopping back and forth until the RPMs provide enough centripal force to hold them against the rollers.

Shifting later is a good thing in terms of performance.

I am now running Heel Clicker arms in my 102C which allow me to have a lower engagement without hurting performance. The clutches will shift sooner under partial throttle. Yet when nailing full throttle from a stop, it will let the engine gain RPM and accelerate hard.

oleolson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 09:13:42 AM »
After another test ride trying to look at the belt- I'm pretty sure the belt is slipping on the drive clutch.  When I accelerate from a dead stop it won't spin the tires even on grass.  I don't see the belt pull down into the driven clutch at all  at first.  It has real good acceleration from probably 10 mph on up.  I jacked the rear wheels up and everything turns free in gear.  No brake sticking etc.  Is reverse gear allot lower than 1st forward gear?  I can spin the tires pretty easy in reverse.  Transmission problems?  driven clutch spring to tight?  Sure wish I'd bought my parts from Aftershock at least I would know the new clutches were right.  Thank you for your fantastic response to my novice questions.  Maybe I should swap drive clutches with the other 350 and see if I have a problem elsewhere.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 09:28:05 AM »
I had a trans get hard to turn when the AB gear bearings were bad.

Swapping parts between two machines is a good way to track it down.

oleolson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 10:08:23 PM »
Thanks for your help livewire.  I'm sure when all is said and done I will be placing an order for parts.

mikel310

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 12:18:28 AM »
Make sure you check the driven clutch.  If the spring is not compressing or the driven clutch movement is sticking, it will not allow the belt to move all the way to the bottom and will allow the belt to over heat and start eating the belt from the sides.   I had that problem on my Pilot.   Get some Comet spray lube and use it on both clutches.   Jack up the rear end and check the clutch movement
Mike