Author Topic: Over Heating Pilot  (Read 6960 times)

Ramjet

Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2004, 07:37:04 PM »
Errr... if you're going to pick on me, just remember that I have compromising photos of some of you guys that I will be more than happy to post on the "Gay 90's, lonely " fourm.  :)

By the way, I received a flyer from H&M and the weekend of the 26th is some type of ATV bash (I recall it's the 26th). Perhaps that should be a weekend we stay away. Besides that, will you still ride with this cripple?

DP sounds like so much fun but I can't travel that far. It's not the cost, it's the time that kills me.

tsutton44

Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2004, 09:27:02 AM »
Errr... if you're going to pick on me, just remember that I have compromising photos of some of you guys that I will be more than happy to post on the "Gay 90's, lonely " fourm.  

ROFLMAO  :shock:

dhjunkie

• View Profile
Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2004, 01:03:38 PM »
Man this is one funny thread, I am really enjoying the reading of it.  Keep it coming.

Odyknuck

• View Profile
Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2004, 01:26:25 PM »
Ron My friend just how do you know about the Gay 90's forum anyways HMMMM! lol.  I have neve even heard of it. :twisted:

Ramjet

Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2004, 09:22:01 PM »
I was dragged there by two girlfriends who liked to dance topless without the worry of being hit on by guys. In fact, most of the girls danced topless.

You couldn't hop off you bar stool because you middle leg was so stiff.

Art school was very, very good to me. :)

vfrpilot

• View Profile
Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2004, 07:57:45 AM »
best entertainment I've had since watching brooks roll down the hill at ecj :lol:

Ramjet

Can it get any worse?
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2004, 02:51:41 PM »
Just when you think everything is going to be all right, God, with his infinite sense of humor, reminds you that you're still a village idiot and don't get too cocky about it boy.

I took the advice of this group and pulled the thermostat from the Pilot radiator to do the test recommended with pan of water and a propane torch. The goal is to see if the temperature probe is defective. Appears simple enough and an easy job I thought.

Sporting a new set of legs from my last battle with the Pilot, I waddle over to the Pilot with a host of metric tools, pan of water and a propane torch. It's still sitting in the barn off its jack stands where I left it. It's hot outside so I'm just dressed in shorts and a new white Polo shirt I treated myself to. I?m all by myself and I?m looking forward to a quite afternoon in the barn with the Pilot.

Now I haven't seen Lassie's furry ass for a week and wife unit is concerned something has happen to four paws. Lassie can go rot as far as I'm concerned and I'm still holding a lot of animosity towards the pooch.

Anyway, I set the pan of water down and fire up the propane torch to heat up the water. While the water is warming in the barn, I remove the sender from the radiator with little trouble and pull my multi-meter from the toolbox to test the sender.

Well, guess who shows up? Lassie. Looking like he hasn't missed a meal, his long pink tongue is dragging and he acts thirsty. Looking at me with those soft brown eyes, Lassie's unsure if he's welcome in the barn or not. I see his eyes dart to the pan of water and a quick glance back to me. He's thinking he needs a drink.

I see what he?s thinking and say, "Don't even think about it you mutt", but it's too late. Lassie makes a beeline for the pan of now, very hot water.

Do you know the sound a pig squeals when hurt? Well, multiple that fifty times and you've got Lassie bolting out of the barn at one hundred miles an hour screaming like, well, like a scalded dog. As he bolts down the barn bridge, he knocks over the pan of hot water which splashes on my naked legs and the now still burning propane torch rolls towards some hay bales stacked in the corner of the barn.

In panic, I contemplate whether to save the Pilot, the barn or my butt. I decide to go for the propane torch, figuring to stop the fire at the source. Franticly I pat out the fire with my brand new Polo shirt. Just as I extinguish the fire, wife unit drives up with Lassie sitting in the passenger side seat of my Ford F-250 looking like all is well.

Looking like a bomb victim of the air raids over Dresden in WW2, I sit on the edge of the barn bridge dejected with my smoldering Polo shirt, lobster red legs and sporting 2nd degree burns on my arms. Then my beloved wife asks me ?What did you do to the dog??

I think I?m going to drag the Pilot to the shop or find a new hobby.

mudbogger

Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2004, 05:38:36 PM »
Ramjet=Mcgyver.You sure you don't have any tv experience?

mudbogger

Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2004, 05:40:11 PM »
Lassie can go rot as far as I'm concerned and I'm still holding a lot of animosity towards the pooch.

thats a classic by the way!!!lmao!!!

Ramjet

Huh?
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2004, 06:22:09 PM »
Okay, I'm confused. My Pilot and manual are in the barn 7 miles away and I'm in my office so it's not like I can run into the garage and go look. I?d like to order the parts tonight so perhaps someone can be of assistance or make a good guess.

Service Honda shows four different thermostats for the 89-90 Pilot. I'm not sure if one number replaces another but which is correct number? Has anyone ordered one lately?

As you?re probably aware, the Service Honda guys, despite being swell guys, really don?t know the Pilot or Odyssey platform that well.

- 37760-HE0-003 Switch Assy., Thermostat    89 $35.95
- 37760-HE0-671 Switch Assy., Thermostat    90 $37.45
- 37770-HE0-003 Switch Assy., Thermostat    89 $44.95
- 37770-HE0-671 Switch Assy., Thermostat    90 $46.74

Anybody want a dog?

Good dog, house broken, eats little, answers to ?hey dummy? and other slurs. Will bring you a beer or your TV remote after you ask ten times. Smells like smoke but I think it?ll wash out.

Free to good home.  :?

Ramjet

Progress is not a eight letter word
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2004, 03:58:14 PM »
Allrightie then. My problem lies with the Thermostatic Switch buried into the Pilot radiator. This Thermostatic Switch is the one with the two green wire leads and is a bit of a pain to remove since I think Honda hired those those miniature Mothra chicks from the Godzilla movie to install some of this stuff.

Now, there is another "Thermostatic switch" mounted right next to the first "Thermostatic Switch" with a single lead and I was a bit perplex which one did what. The shop manual isn't exactly clear about these two little buggers and you need to follow the wiring diagram to figure out what is what. It's that or I didn't read the manual correctly. But first, I test the fan and it spins freely and I manage not to nip a finger in the process.

I test the Thermostatic Switch in our old photography lab and boil some water in the coffee post and dump it into a Pyrex beaker that has a digital temperature probe in it. I'm well over 170 degrees and I hook two wire leads to a multi-meter to test the circuit and I get nothing. I switch from Ohm to Alarm and still get nothing. The Thermostatic Switch is shot and I now need to shop for a new one.

Now comes the hard part. I call Service Honda for no particular reason except I've purchased stuff from them before and have had good luck. Pooh answers and I inquired why the four different part numbers for the Thermostatic Switch and he really didn't have a solid answer about which "Thermostatic Switch" was the correct one. Can't blame him. There's not too many guys around that "know" this machine. I do recall the 89's are no longer available.

I call my local dealer. He's not a Honda guy but a KTM-Suzuki guy and has good success in the past getting me all kinds of weird parts at a better price than Service Honda. Plus I like to keep my dollars as local as I can. Who said this part was cheap? Thirty to forty dollars for a simple switch seems a bit high to me. I order one anyway but it will be in too late for the Spring Valley Races.

Just for kicks and giggles I head off to AutoZone to irritate the counter monkeys with my switch and see if we can nail down what Honda car this came out of. It does have a number stamped on the side and we try the computer than bail to a hard copy book made of all things; paper. No Luck. We would have to order seventeen different thermostatic switches before we hit on the correct one. I thought about NAPA but declined to take Little Ramjet to McDonald's since he's bored and hungry.

Well, it was a long road and there is light at the end of the tunnel. I did get to change my balancer and transmission oil for the season and do some upgrades to the Pilot.

Odyknuck

• View Profile
Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2004, 04:14:39 PM »
So Are you racing or not? Not having my manual in front of me to review the schematic I will speculate for you. The single wire stat grounds out the circuit for the high temperature light and the 2 wire stat cycles the fan. I will review the schematic when I get home and give you an exact answer.
Thats my story and im sticking to it. BTW I will talk to Gary Wuff and get him to reinstitute the Grandma race if you are willing to partisapate

Ramjet

Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2004, 10:23:02 PM »
I really won't know till Saturday evening if I can make it. The Magic 8 Ball says "Outlook is Good".

Will I race? Dunno. I'm pretty beat and would pose a danger to the others. I'm really tired. I'd like to get some fresh photography of the races.

Lude, I like the spell check feature, Nice.

dhjunkie

• View Profile
Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2004, 11:08:52 PM »
Quote from: "Ramjet"
I really won't know till Saturday evening if I can make it. The Magic 8 Ball says "Outlook is Good".

Will I race? Dunno. I'm pretty beat and would pose a danger to the others. I'm really tired. I'd like to get some fresh photography of the races.

Magic 8 ball :lol: ,  OMG  do you really have one of them relics?

ludedude

• View Profile
Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2004, 10:34:44 AM »
Quote from: "Ramjet"

If only we had that P-O.com when Josh was around  :lol:  :lol:

It's amazing the number of hacks people have made for these phpBB forums.