Author Topic: Anyone cleaned rust from fuel tank before?  (Read 1931 times)

stoneman

• View Profile
Anyone cleaned rust from fuel tank before?
« on: May 16, 2004, 07:51:19 PM »
The inside of my tank has slight surface rust. I would like to hear some methods anyone has tried to clean their tank. There are two screened fuel pickups inside that cannot be removed.
I was thinking of filling it half way up and dump in few thousands bbs. Any thoughts besides pissing in it?

Ramjet

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 09:18:37 PM »
The antique car tanks I've clean was a combination of diluted muratic acid and a steam pressure washer. The acid sits for a few hours and then is blown out with the pressure washer. I would coat/fog the inside of the tank with a light oil if I wasn't going to install it soon. if there a soft parts in the tank, you need to be careful.

Another method some of the cars guys use is Draino and a garden hose or oven cleaner.

A radiator shop can dip your tank for you for a few bucks.

There are kits in Hemmings Motor news for tank restroration or try Eastwood is you want a perfect job.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/

Odyknuck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 08:25:30 AM »
You can put the BBs in the tank and put in in your dryer (with heat off) and tumble it. wrap it in a blanket to pack it so it does not bounce around in the dryer. Reposition the tank a few times to change cleaning pattern. I know it sounds dum however I have done it with good results. Then buy a "Creame Kit" and coat the tank to prevent it from rusting again. The kit comes with cleaner, acid for etching and the Cream coating. If the directions are followed it works well. If not the coating will peal off. Be careful you dont get the cream on the screens. If you do take the air compresser and force it out of the screen from the pickup tubes at the petcock.

mudbogger

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 05:42:45 PM »
I have always gone the rad shop route-it has worked the best for me long term with my fuel cells and the cost can be low in some cases as well, depending on the shop, etc you go to.