Author Topic: Over Heating Pilot  (Read 6950 times)

Ramjet

Over Heating Pilot
« on: May 11, 2004, 07:31:22 PM »
After a through pre-flight of the Pilot, Little Ramjet on his Scambler and I went for a quick and fast tour of the farm trails. About thirty minutes into the ride, and Little Ramjet smoking old Ramjet, my "temp" light comes on and I immediately roll to a stop and shut down. I leave the key on and hop out to see what the matter may be.

My rear fan isn't turming so I tap it with my hand and it starts to spin for just a moment and shuts off. I tap it again and nothing happens. I remove the fins and cover and check the coolent cursing the Japanese industrial designer who came up with the idiot radiator shroud idea. I check the coolent and it is a nice bright green and at the proper level. The engine is hot but not offending. I look for loose wires, or a cracked leaking hose and find nothing wrong. This Pilot is still in fine shape. I check the fuses and all is well. By this time, the light has gone out and I fire up the Pilot to head back to the barn. Little Ramjet is disappointed and speeds ahead home.

Now back to the barn is about a half of a mile away and I make it back and roll up into the top of the barn when the temp light comes back on. I shut down and tap the fan again and it stays still. Again, I leave the key on and pull the wire to the sensor/thermostat and reseat it. Nothing happens. I tap the fan again. Nothing.

Wife shows up and it's time to head home. No time to follow the problem and I'll see what the manual has to say.

Now if you're me, what would you suspect first? A defective temp sensor? A bad waterpump (remote but it could happen)? I'm going to test the fan first to see if it spins on its own power. Then look to the sensor. As I recall, FL400 nut had this problem when we were at The Rumble on the Ridge and fix it in the field. I was shooting photos and not paying any attention at the time.

So what say you the Odyssey and Pilot Gods?

(pilot)

stoneman

• View Profile
Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 09:58:56 PM »
GAMM
LOL

Ramjet

Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 10:13:45 PM »
Well slap my monkey! Why didn't I think of looking in the manual?

When I look up in the word "help" in the dictionary, I always see a pic of Stoneman.

:D

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 10:30:37 PM »
Check the temp sensor.  Propane torch and ohm meter will tell you if it's closing once it gets hot.  I think they come on a 170F, but don't hold me to it.

It's a cheap piece to replace anyhow.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

redrider

• View Profile
agreed
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 08:50:08 AM »
Check the temp sensor.  I've seen two of them go bad, and they are a cheap replacement part.  You may also have a nicked wire somewhere that is grounding out.  You might use a pot of water to check the sensor instead of the propane torch.  With the water you can separately monitor the temp of the heating water to assess where the sensor opens.
Then again it might be that the air needs changing in the left rear tire and the modulation transducer needs some number 12 gear oil between the 3rd and 5th throw-out plate.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Re: agreed
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 11:37:51 AM »
Quote from: "redrider"
Then again it might be that the air needs changing in the left rear tire and the modulation transducer needs some number 12 gear oil between the 3rd and 5th throw-out plate.

Damn, I'd forgotten all about the throw-out plates! :shock:
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

Odyknuck

• View Profile
Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 12:53:55 PM »
Man its getting pretty deep in here. Id better run home and get the Boots lol.

MassOdy

Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 03:51:56 PM »
I pulled the schematic up.

The thermo switch is normally open active low meaning it clsoes (conducts) and goes to ground once hot.

With the key on ground the Green / Black line going to the radiator.
this is the signal out of your thermo switch. This will hotwire the fan to spin.

It appears the switch goes to a common ground lug otherthan the chassis ground lug. But thats just the schematic depiction. Make sure its not using an alternative ground path like through the water pump. Since the ground lead on the schematic looks to be the switch outer metalic surface.

As these guys told you already: test the thermo switch. I'd do it two ways.
With a continuity tester one lead on a good ground the other on Green / Black. Heat it up and see if it closes. I like testing out of circuit best though. And the other is to measure the Ohms between leads they should be as close to zero as possible. If you have a LOW OHM setting on the meter use it. It helps you masure resistance that approaches 0 ohms. Usually more of a problem with High current lines like battery and starter versus a medium current that your fan draws.

What puzzles me is that tapping the fan got it to move. Is it possible the fan contacts are boogered on the connector or the fan internally.

Also to test the positive side have the key on measure the volts on the battery and make a note of it. Then measure the volts on the Black wire at the Fan they should be identical. If not then possibly some wires got corrodid and is applying resistance in line with the positive side. But you'd be saying your fan moves slow versus not at all. Or its on the edge of just enough.

Ramjet

Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 08:03:05 AM »
Damn, What a figgen nightmare! This is the last time I come here for advice!!!

I jacked up the rear of the Pilot to change the number 12 gear oil between the 3rd and 5th throw-out plate and the damn thing fell off the jacks and crushed my legs!

In agony, I crawled from the barn only to have my right hand todded on by a horse and between my screams I call for my dog Lassie. I gasp "Lassie....get Timmie" before I slip into unconsciousness. When I awoke. Lassie's gone and the friggen horse is eating the seat of my Pilot.

I crawled 100 yards to the Pilot and get the tool kit to remove the two front roll bars to make a set of splints for my legs. This goes well and I crawl on hands and knees to my truck. Discovering I didn't have my keys for the truck, I had to crawl back another hundred yards to the Pilot since I left my keys in the Pilot.

By this time, the horse chewing the crap out of my seat, knocks the Pilot off its jack stands and it proceeds to roll towards me. I think to myself, "great, I won't have to crawl as far" only to discover to my horror that the Pilot is moving pretty darn fast to me.

I'm not sure what happen after that. I awoke in the hospital with Vroom's Pilot storage top on my chest and a tag on my toe which was pointing at a funny angle. My right hand in a cast, both legs in traction and my head in bandages.

Wife unit brought me my laptop and I'm typing this with a pencil in my mouth.

Odyknuck

• View Profile
Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 08:16:33 AM »
Ron, You are just too funny. So Tell us did you get the Pilot fixed after all of that. I mean after all that is the important thing here is it not lol.

ludedude

• View Profile
Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 10:19:48 AM »
I like to know how the pilot fell off the jackstands TWICE...or did the horse lift up onto the jackstands after it fell on your legs lol :)

Joe Odyssey Rider

• View Profile
Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 11:22:47 AM »
HEY!  It's his story ... it's just like Fox reality series or something.  We're just lucky it didn't fall off FOUR times!

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!    :lol:

Ramjet

Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2004, 02:21:42 PM »
Nahhh, it was off it's jack stands. In my delirium, I thought "Glue with four hooves" knocked the Pilot off its jackstands.

All Glue Factory did was eat through the parking brake sending the Pilot down the barn bridge at an unpleasent speed towards my cranium. FL400 nut's bumper is embosssed on my forhead.

When I get home, I'm going to kick Lassie's furry ass around the block.

redrider

• View Profile
sad and strange
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 04:10:18 PM »
Ram, you're a sad strange little man and you have my pity!   :)

Odyknuck

• View Profile
Over Heating Pilot
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2004, 04:50:52 PM »
Red, I think it stems way back when he flipped the FL350 on its Hood (and his head) at Spring Valley in the Grandma race.  He's just never been the same since Ha! Ha!.