Author Topic: Good Price on Hand Held Radios  (Read 5361 times)

betel

• View Profile
Good Price on Hand Held Radios
« on: May 04, 2004, 07:51:53 PM »
Here is a link to Heartland America with a good price on some 22 channel FRS/GMRS 5 mile radios.  I know sometimes it would be nice to be able to communicate with other drivers.  Not sure but I think these radios can be equipped with an earphone and vox microphone.

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/de/pro.asp?pr=86008&sc=w4511401

MassOdy

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 02:22:57 PM »

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 05:28:16 PM »
Have you tried out an amplified helmet speaker system yet MassOdy? I tried just the plain ear bud style and could not hear well enough.

MassOdy

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 09:40:35 AM »
Yes I tried the radio shack 1 input three output one.

It helped a little bit. It doesn't have a volume dial on it
so its a fixed amplifier. I'm going to open it up and
see if I can tweek it.

I wasn't very impressed so far with it. I was hoping to post a success
story.

The cordless phone speakers I'm using are doing well.
There flat speakers and fit nicely in the helmet speaker pouch.

I'm going to keep looking for a better amplifier. Possibly a kit.

Joe Odyssey Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 12:53:32 PM »
A couple notes about the radios you showed.  (BTW, I just ordered a couple, thanks for the heads-up).  They are NOT new, but "Factory Serviced" whatever that means (used units for sure).  But, they have the original Motorola warranty.
They have rechargeable batts and come with the charging stand.  They go for $70/pair on Motorola's website, so this looks pretty good.
I already have some other models that we use all the time when we go riding.  If you do decide to go with headsets, try the PTT instead of VOX, just too much noise with the Odysseys tends to activate the VOX sometimes.
My 2 cents........

MassOdy

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 03:45:03 PM »
Also, it looks like they are using NiCd battery packs. It may be possible that they can use AAA. My Kenwood radios do this.

But, I've transisioned from NiCd (Nickle Cadmium) rechargables to the more expensive NiMh (Nickle Metal Hydrid).

Why? Because NiMh perform better and don't get a recharge memory. The memory occurs when you partially discharge the battery and recharge it again and again. That why most people cordless phones are always going through batteries or show very low talk time.

Yeah they are more expensive but I find in the long run a better option.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 03:48:07 PM »
Well I may try the cpomuter speakers then sometime...see how flat there are, they have a built in amp and volume control....

Bucked

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 10:44:49 PM »
These radios (Moto 5710/5720) can be bought new for less than $50 a set at Sams or Costco and include the batteries and base charger at that price.

Take a look at http://www.firefoxtech.com/ for headphone/mic combos. The throat mic helps eliminate all external sound but your voice for VOX and the kit includes a PTT button if you don't want to use VOX. The VOX works well, but I don't like the delay involved in getting the transmit to activate. I found that I have to preface every transmission with a "heyyyyy" before saying what needed to be said. These work better than what you would expect considering the price.

For aftermarket batteries, you want to buy Li-Ion (lithium ion) batteries. It's the newest technology for batteries and it out-performs Ni-Mh for the same price. You can get a set of 8 AA Li-Ion batteries and a charger for less than $20 at Sam's.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 11:03:38 PM »
Hmmm...that looks like a must try item...we really want to get communication up and running between the 3 of us here in our pilots

MassOdy

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 10:57:13 AM »
I didn't realize rechargable li-Ion were available in standard form factors.

I knew non rechargables were there. We use them in our flashlites for hiking much lighter weight.

Hey Bucked thanks I need to go look for a set to try out.

The computer speakers I've gutted aren't flat speakers. Or flat enough.
But the amps could still be used and applied to another set of speakers.

I liek the firefoxtech stuff. Just haven't bitten yet.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 09:04:14 PM »
Tried the FireFox earbud, throat mic and PTT system.

Worked well except that the PTT button does not stand up well to a dirty environment. After not too long ours started sticking on...

The throat mic's deliver very clear signals though...no wind noise or engine noise. The earbud is just loud enough, would be nice if it went a tad bit louder or had two of them.

I contacted them and they are looking into making a waterproof PTT, but have no date as to when it will be available.

MassOdy

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 10:24:52 PM »
Suggest a magnetic switch and put a magnet in the thumb / finger tip for ptt.

Or better yet. Opposite. the reed switch is on the thumb and the magnet is on the steering wheel.

This way the rider can be wired and not wired to the buggy. HMMM gonna/should've done it. Build into the riding gear. (copyright Tyler Technologies Inc. A whole owned subsidiary of Blair Enterprises)

two ear buds shouldn't be a hard thing. I hate the ear buds personally.
I want to flip the helmet on and off without fussing. Soft foam cups would be nice.

But then again I still have connectors to fuss with.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 10:47:44 PM »
900Mhz wireless speakers in the helmet :)

Tell me more on this 2 piece magnetic switch...

MassOdy

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2004, 10:52:59 AM »
Well the simplest approach would be to buy a set of normally open (no magnet present no conduction) Security switches from like radio shack.
Not the best sizing but....

When the magnet is close to the switch it closes the contacts.

Snip there PTT switch off and wire this new one in.

Incorporate it into your gloves. Put the magnet on the steering wheel someplace where your finger can reach it to choose PTT.

Or if you have an older bicycle electronic odometer it uses the same
technology. There much smaller than the security switches.
Our digitron pickups I beleive are inductive and not a reed switch.

I have several reed switches. But they are glass tubes. Tiny and fragile.

I would also add a magnet to the back side of your other hand's glove.
So if your out of the Pilot but want to transmit you won't have to reach for the wheel just touch the other glove with your trigger finger. Assuming the radio and all is on your buddy and the helmet is on.

If you can't find this stuff let me know. I have a bicycle odometer pickup switch laying around someplace. maybe I can slip it into the UPS package bouncing through my address. :)

A hall affect sensor does the same sort of thing and is like a transistor
and much more durable than a reed switch. However would require a bit of circuitry. An old harddrive can harvest around 4 or 8 hall affect sensors. There used to monitor and control the spindle rotation.

I would use these when I get around to building a drive vs driven clutch monitor/measurement sensor.

Both of which are sensitive to magnetic polarity just FYI.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2004, 12:56:45 PM »
Cool, thanks! I think I have a sensor from a bike speedometer. Maybe I'll try that.