Author Topic: gas tank size?  (Read 6427 times)

spynergy

gas tank size?
« on: April 29, 2004, 11:52:10 PM »
I noticed that my gas tank is pretty gunky inside so I was thinking of buying a tank from odysseyparts.com but I don't know whether to get the 3.5 or the 5.0 gal.  Also, am I correct in assuming that I don't need a fuel pump anymore if I mount the tank high?  Thanks experts.

kr420am

tank
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 02:15:54 PM »
I just got the 5 gallon from Odysseysalvage.com.  Nice tank.

mudbogger

gas tank size?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 05:34:02 PM »
You can also get a poly cell tank from dansperformanceparts.com, they run around 67.00 bucks and come in 5.0 gallon as well, the can take a real good amount of abuse and what I like best is the gas inlet is on the side not in the middle like the alumn ones, makes for easier filling if you have the dual air inlets, believe me when I tell ya.Also, the gas cap locks on well so if you have issues with the tank leaking if it falls on the side of the gas inlet, dont worry they seal quite well.

spynergy

gas tank size?
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 12:31:26 AM »
But what about the fuel pump?  I'm thinking no.....

mudbogger

gas tank size?
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 05:22:37 PM »
Quote from: "spynergy"
But what about the fuel pump?  I'm thinking no.....
Fuel pump for gravity feed is not needed, some people run them but I do not and I have never had fuel supply problems ever-it just isnt needed for the gravity feed system.

mudbogger

gas tank size?
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 05:24:12 PM »
Opps sorry, you will need to change the main to a 3.0 from the stock 1.5 and may need to change the needle clip as well, I do not know what mods you have to your motor, but you will need to change the main diffenently.

spynergy

gas tank size?
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 07:49:47 PM »
This Odyssey is realtively new to me, but I just got the manual a couple days ago and have been going through it and my Odyssey and as far as I can tell it's stock except for the comet clutch.  I assume you mean to change the jet from a 1.5 to a 3.0.  I plan on getting one of those Power Pro torque pipes from ludedude and modifying the airbox to accept dual inlets so I'm sure that will also require jetting changes.  I'm really interested in putting a gas tank up out of the way to make messing with the carburator easier.  It's a pain in the ass to get to it from a wheelchair!!

By the way, do you know who's extremely clean Odyssey it is with the black dual stacks with K&N filters on the tops?  I've seen a picture on this message board I think but I can't seem to find it again.

ludedude

• View Profile
gas tank size?
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 03:24:26 AM »
That Odyssey is Tsutton's I beleive

ludedude

• View Profile

spynergy

that's the one! more questions tho...
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 11:18:56 AM »
I've since traded responses w/ Tsutton- real nice guy and very helpful!  

I still would like to know about the jetting.... why is it necessary to change the main jet from a 1.5 to a 3.0?  Is the flow different?  I'm such a greenhorn when it comes to jetting, etc.  Currently all I have as far as mods is an airbox w/ two intakes.  

Do you still have to use a backflow preventer w/ the Al. tank?  What about a gas line that goes back to the tank for overflow?  Or can you just run the line straight from the petcock to the carb?

Thanks in advance for the help!! 8)

Bucked

• View Profile
gas tank size?
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 07:33:00 PM »
You don't need to change the carb to run gravity feed. If you did, it would be the "needle" valve that works in conjunction with the floats to stop fuel from over flowing the bowl.
When I had a 350, I checked with my local Honda dealer to get the "correct needle and seat" and the service guy cross referenced the stock 350 carb to a CR250. The parts were the same. So if the CR had a gravity feed tank and used the same needle and seat, then the 350 will be able to work the same way.

If you go with a gravity feed tank, just run a hose from the tank to the carb. You won't need the fuel pump or the "T".Be sure to get a shut off valve to stop unwanted fuel flow when it's not being driven.

I bought the poly tank from Dan's and liked the way it looked and worked. I highly recommend one.

spynergy

Here's what I decided to do, let me know if I'm all wet.
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 11:17:25 PM »
I ordered a 16 x 8 aluminum tank yesterday, partly because the 24 inch tanks are backordered, but also because the stock tank holds 3.5 gallons just like the 16 x 8, and that capacity has never been a problem for me.  Also, the less weight I put up high the better, and at 8 pounds or so a gallon, that's 12 pounds less I'll be hanging high.  

Randy suggested still using the vacuum fuel pump with the gravity feed to avoid any problems with the fuel filter getting dirty and not allowing enough fuel through, causing a leaning out situation.  I opted not to just to keep it simple, and I'll just have to change the fuel filter often.  I plan to use an inexpensive in-line fuel filter that's cheap to swap out often.  Something like a commercial lawnmower with a comparable size engine uses.  

When I spoke to Randy at Odyssey Salvage, he said the float would need to be changed for gravity feed.  He said the stock carburetor float could not be changed, so he recommended a Mikuni 38mm carb.  He is going to set it up with a 3.5 float and a 350 jet to work with the gravity feed fuel tank.  The only drawback is that the stock choke cable will not work with the Mikuni carb so it needs a kit to convert the choke cable to work.  The Mikuni carb has a manual choke, but being a wheelchair user, I'd like to be able to start the Odyssey from the seat, so I find that the choke cable is necessary.  

I am setting up my Odyssey for torque, and apparently the 38mm is good for that as well as some good top end.  I wanted to change out the carb for a 36 or 38 anyway, so this was no big deal.

I also ordered the reed cage spacer to reduce the turbulence going into the cylinder.  

From Sara at Triple E I got the ceramic coated Power Pros torque pipe to complete the setup.  

My track is very dusty most of the time, so I'm going to ditch the airbox and just attach a foam filter directly to the 90degree boot coming off the carb, and use a pre-filter outerwear cover with it to catch the big stuff.  I think this ought to be fine as long as I change it out often.  It will also allow me to mount the tank lower and still get at the filter to change it.  If anyone knows better, please chime in.  

I need to get an EGT as soon as I can, but right now I'm tapped out from the carb, tank, and pipe.  If anyone knows of a good deal on one, let me know.

A big thanks to anyone who read all the way through this :D  :D , please respond to let me know yay or nay whether I'm thinking right.

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Parts...
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 12:00:11 AM »
Ceramic Coated Power Pros Torque Pipe & Digatron EGT? Ludedude has them right here at P-O-PS.com! Just ask him and he'll hook you up!

Mikuni or Keihin Carbs? Try this place for the lowest prices: http://www.pro-flo.com/proflo_carburetors.htm

If you're changing the carb, don't ditch the airbox! Instead, do the dual air intake modification!!! If done correctly, you'll end up with more ponies and less maintenance of the air filters.
By the way, get your filters here: www.4filters.com

Best of luck to you!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

spynergy

egt
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004, 10:00:27 PM »
thanks for the response pilotsniper :)

ludedude-
got an egt with a tach?
how much and when could you ship it?
thanks
John

ludedude

• View Profile
gas tank size?
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2004, 10:06:14 PM »
I have one that I have setup for a Pilot (cable lenghts and mount) MassOdy has one, and PilotSniper have one. It's not a cheap unit, but has many additional features.

store I'm working on...EGT link

I can get any EGT that Digatron makes...use the Digatron link on the side bar (right hand side) on the store site. ~ 20% off their listed prices.

Thanks for the reference PilotSniper ;)