Author Topic: Extended front shock modification  (Read 3289 times)

redrider

• View Profile
Extended front shock modification
« on: April 05, 2004, 03:43:15 PM »
I thought I'd post an instructional document for this modification.  This is subject often addressed and is a great addition to a Pilot.  The work isn't to difficult either.  I do not have any pictures of the actual installation steps.  I'll document that digitally next time I do one and add it!   :roll:
I think I may have stumbled across a clamp-on upper shock mounting tab.  I'm going to order one and if it prooves to be servicable, I'll add that info to these instructions as an alternate, making it even easier!!!  
And just for a few of you out there - I didn't attach any Windows MetaFiles this time.  I converted the diagram to Jpeg.  This will eventually become a page on my website.
Thanks and enjoy!

PilotNut

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 01:45:56 PM »
How about a similar set-up for the rear?? I'm pretty sure I've seen some Pilots with taller and/or relocated upper shock mounts and slightly longer shocks.  It looked like it gave an extra couple inches of rear wheel travel.

Any thoughts?

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 01:57:39 PM »
Moskito did it and has some info on his page http://www.yellowdogracing.com/frankenskeeter.htm

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 02:13:08 PM »
http://www.45thparallel.net/works/pilot_suspension.html

Has anyone verified the OEM travel as stated in the manual?
Anyone with regular works shocks verify their travel?
I'll verify mine (the 3rd in the list on page at link above) once installed.

If stock is what it says in the manual, and I get what I hope...should be a pretty good, bolt on long travel kit.

52% increase over OEM front 5.9 to 9.0"
and
72.5% over OEM rear 7.1 to 12.25"

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 08:26:49 PM »
Quote from: "ludedude"
If stock is what it says in the manual, and I get what I hope...should be a pretty good, bolt on long travel kit.

52% increase over OEM front 5.9 to 9.0"
and
72.5% over OEM rear 7.1 to 12.25"

HOW???  you'll get binding in the back really quickly.  I think I have 8.5" stroke on the FS's rear end and it's really close to the CV limits.  The LT kit from ATVR is only 10.5 (or 11 if you remove the internal collar - but you tweak cvs)

For what it's worth, the rear end is a 1:1 motion ratio.  What the shock shaft travels is what the rear end travels.  I don't know front end motion ratio, but would guess 1.75:1 or so
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 09:02:38 PM »
OK somethings wrong here....I thought works saids their rear shocks have 6.125" stroke...and gives 10.125" travel....?

If it's 1:1 then there's would be less than stock....?

The stock has 7.1" stroke?

Tired and confused.....have to do some measuring this weekend.

Moskito

• View Profile
Motion Ratios
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 09:41:29 AM »
By chance, are you finding that info from that mfg that showed the Works shocks (I think they were Works) laid way over and mounted at extreme angles?

The specs you've listed would be a motion ratio of 1.653:1

A Pilot's rear end is about as perfect of a 1:1 motion ratio as you can find.  The shocks sit (just about) vertical and is attached to the outermost suspension piece.  The shock shaft travels (almost) exactly the same amount as the wheel.

An FYI for those that don't understand Motion Ratio:

Motion ratio is defined as the ratio of wheel travel to shock shaft travel.  Take the above numbers - 10.125" wheel travel and divide by the 6.125" shock shaft travel and you get the 1.653:1 ratio.

Wheel moves 1.653" for each inch of shock shaft travel.

Note:  This is assuming that the shock is located so that it's more or less perpendicular to the motion of the suspension arm (especially at full compression).  The more you lay the shock over, the more the motion ratio will change. (and the more headaches you'll have trying to get the spring rates and valving correct - a drastically laid over shock (more than 45 degrees or so) is a pain in the butt)

You have to use Trigonometry once you start laying it (shock) over more and more.  The shock becomes the hypotenuse of the triangle, the suspension arm will be the horizontal part and the distance between the a-arm's mounting point and the shock's upper mounting point would be the vertical aspect of the triangle.

This is, once again, assuming that the system's close to a right angle triangle.   Otherwise, it's time to draw it all on ACAD and then figure out the movements and such.  Gets pretty deep! (I love this stuff!)
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

rocketman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 02:02:23 PM »
Please excuse Moskito - he is experiencing a Physics woodie.  The most famous victim of this phenomenon was Einstein himself.

dhjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 05:34:18 PM »
I cant believe he used such a big word  "hypotenuse"  that word is taller than he is.  :)

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 05:39:14 PM »
Quote from: "rocketman"
Please excuse Moskito - he is experiencing a Physics woodie.

Quote from: "dhjunkie"
I cant believe he used such a big word  "hypotenuse"  that word is taller than he is.  :)

ROFLMAO!!!

My new personal phrase: "Pardon me, I'm experiencing a Physics Woodie, I'll be back in a few." :lol:

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2004, 06:12:58 PM »
Good new signature! :) lol