Author Topic: Yamabond? Gasket sealer....  (Read 1948 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
Yamabond? Gasket sealer....
« on: June 06, 2005, 04:45:37 AM »
I pressure tested 2 sets of cases yesterday and bothe have small leaks, right where th case halves meet, under the cylinder, the three-way joint: case-half to case-half to cylinder.

I've never used and sealers before...I've heard yamabond tossed around a lot. How is it used/applied? Apply and let dry? Apply and assemble and let dry?

Somebody spill the beans :p

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 08:32:51 AM »
Thin coat on both sides of the gasket. The stuff is messy so have a rag for your hands close by. The directions for use are right on the tube though. Great stuff. I won't assemble an engine without it now. Its easier to put it together using that suff than take it back apart and reapply. It works great on leaky reed cages too.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 02:27:33 PM »
Yamabond, Hondabond or 2411 (Permatex - I think that's the number - white stuff) will all work

You want the white one for cases - gasoline issues.

Just dab it on the edge of the case and wipe w/your finger.  You want a very thin coat on each piece.  You can/should still use the gasket too.

I sometimes just smear it on the gasket and then install the gasket.  Reed cage gaskets come to mind...
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 02:29:15 PM »
Quote from: "PilotHawK"
It works great on leaky reed cages too.

Quote from: "Moskito"
Reed cage gaskets come to mind...

Guess I should have fully read PH's post... :?
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 02:41:33 PM »
Yamabond, Hondabond or 2411 (Permatex - I think that's the number - white stuff) will all work

cool, I love alternates :)