Author Topic: Computer people  (Read 1599 times)

rocketman

• View Profile
Computer people
« on: April 02, 2004, 02:48:01 PM »
Is there any problem running a laptop off an inverter?  How much wattage will be required?

MassOdy

Computer people
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 03:15:37 PM »
You can do it. I do it!

That is how I was able to use my moving maps to Find Ocala FLA a month back.

I used a small POS Radio Shack inverter just fine. With an IBM Laptop.
But, in FL I used a $50 Walmart Special.

Sorry can't recall the sizes.

The booklet says take 1/10th of the wattage needed by the 110VAC adapter and that number in DC amps is needed. SO a 100 WATT light bulb would want a 10 AMP fused inverter on its DC side.

As a for instance I ran an old laptop and an external hard drive and CDROM drive on one low end Radio Shack inverter off a cigarette lighter no problem. Circa 1993 level of gear.

Check the power output of your laptop power supply. You may get lucky and its 12Volts. Doubt it though. Probably more like 15 or 18 volts.

I've run a 15VDC laptop off of 12 VDC OK. But the battery won't charge.

Odyknuck

• View Profile
Clean power
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 03:20:06 PM »
You need one that produces around 2 amps for most laptops. Choose an inverter that produces clean 60 cycle and that has a brown out mode to keep from loosing data. Most venders will state if compatipal for laptops and sensitive electronics

MassOdy

Computer people
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 03:40:38 PM »
Also, start with a fully charged battery. And if using it off of battery power don't drain it all the way. Maybe when it gets to 50% put it back on the inverter and start the engine.

The battery will act as a buffer (capacitor) for you. And when drained too low it will put a stronger draw on your inverter.

Most inverters have a modified sine wave. Those are the type that read 90 Volts AC from a normal digital Multimeter. And I used it on my IBM Thinkpad just fine. But, that doesn't mean it will work on every laptop
fine.