Author Topic: Carb Theory Question  (Read 2866 times)

Faux Pas

Carb Theory Question
« on: March 31, 2004, 12:32:45 AM »
Guys
I was reading an article called "Installing a 39 mm PWK carburetor on a Honda Pilot". After reading the part about coolant running through the carb to keep it from icing up in cold weather It occured to me that in my understanding of fuel/air mixing, isn't warm fuel a bad thing? I was wondering two things:
1. Can you safely block off the passages to and from the carb?
2. If so, would you gain any performance? I always thought motors like cool fuel.
If nothing else, it would make it a lot easier to work on the car., wouldn't it? Instead of having to drain the coolant every time you want to remove it.
Carb icing will not be an issue in CA.
I'm new to Pilot but I think my logic is sound what do you guys think?

redrider

• View Profile
carb coolant ports
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 12:48:00 AM »
I've seen several of the stock carbs with the cooling lines still attached, but I've seen more with them completely removed.  I'm not aware of any problems reported with the lines and jackets having been removed.  And yes, it does make for easier removal and installation of the carb, especially loosening the boots and rotating it to change jets.

atvnut

• View Profile
Carb Theory Question
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 01:07:48 AM »
now you could run ice water through the lines to cool the fuel in hot weather to gain performance.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2716&prmenbr=361
Thank you
"The Nut"

Faux Pas

Carb Theory Question
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 01:35:51 AM »
I bet it would work. Red, thanks I was hoping I could bypass.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Carb Theory Question
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 07:25:46 AM »
it's the first thing to do to a Pilot - remove those silly lines and plug them off at the head and rad.

We messed with cooling fuel with dry ice back when I was involved with the superbike team.  Wasn't worth the effort, in the long haul.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

pilotdude

Carb Theory Question
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 02:48:58 PM »
Should I just by pass the lines? When you say plug off the lines, what are you using to plug off the holes? Does any have a picture of this? Also moskito what super bike team did you work on?

PD

redrider

• View Profile
pluggin water inlets
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 03:12:16 PM »
I just found an old shouldered bolt the same diameter as the I.D. of the water line.  Cut the threads and head off the bolt and inserted the remainder into the water line, tightened down on it with a hose clamp.  You could use about anything to plug the lines.  Just leave enough hose to accept whatever you use.

(There is a line out of the top of the radiator and one on the right rear corner of the head that will need plugged)