Author Topic: Head stud installation  (Read 2765 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
Head stud installation
« on: March 30, 2004, 01:54:10 PM »
How do you guys install head studs into the cylinder?
Use locktite?

I use locktite and double lock nut them at the end of the threads so as to not do any damage to the threads (stretching) near the top where the crrown nuts go....Good, bad, better?

Got some to do tonight or tomorrow

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Head stud installation
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 02:20:24 PM »
I've not used it, but I can't see that it would hurt.

The studs are not the same on each end.

One end's sort of rounded with a dimple, the other's sort of flat or slightly cupped.

I wanna say the end that's sort of cupped is the one that you put into the jug.  Check the manual and see if that jives with the pix in it. - or get me straight on it. (:
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

stoneman

• View Profile
Head stud installation
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 02:22:58 PM »
flat end of stud goes into the jug

ludedude

• View Profile
Head stud installation
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 02:25:08 PM »
yup flat end in...but how do you guys torque them down?

Faux Pas

Head stud installation
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 03:13:55 PM »
http://www.arp-bolts.com/pages/tech/tech.html
Here is some very interesting reading on fasteners. Should be required.

ludedude

• View Profile
Head stud installation
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 04:09:43 PM »
Good reading...but I couldn't find advice on how to install studs...

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Re: Head stud installation
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 04:27:52 PM »
Quote from: "ludedude"
How do you guys install head studs into the cylinder?
Use locktite?

I use locktite and double lock nut them at the end of the threads so as to not do any damage to the threads (stretching) near the top where the crrown nuts go....Good, bad, better?

Got some to do tonight or tomorrow

Same system here, only no Locktite. Came out the same way. Pretty easy to do. I also read in one of our catalogs that there's an actual tool that's made for the installation and removal of these studs. I remember seeing a couple of different sets ranging from $80 to about $120. Pretty expensive if you ask me, but I guess it's a worthwhile investment if you do this for a living...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Head stud installation
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 05:37:15 PM »
Quote from: "ludedude"
yup flat end in...but how do you guys torque them down?

I do the double nut setup - two flanged nuts, flanges against each other, tighten then about "grunt" tight.  You can use your torque wrench on the top nut.  If they try to spin, stick a regular non flanged nut on top of the two flanged units and hold the bottom nut while tightening the third.  If that's not holding, I give!  Vice grips!!! --- just kidding!
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

ludedude

• View Profile
Head stud installation
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 05:47:51 PM »
OK cool, that's what I do...wonder if I can get some of those flanged nuts, in the stud size, similiar to the flanged nuts for rims. They have those "traction grippers" :) on the flange area. That would help guard against slippage or spinnage :)

Faux Pas

Head stud installation
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 01:47:53 AM »
Lude
you got me thinking so I did a search for "head stud torque" and several variations.I found the link above and several others that everyone should read. The only reference I found to torque values was for a Celica and a Mini-Cooper, but they weren't very clear. One said 65lbs but that seems excessive. You could try calling Vance and Hines here in L.A. they always answer questions for me. The part I found enlightening above was refering to stretch and to the importance of using lube. On my Harley and my kart I use tube after tube of never-sieze on just about everything except where you need Loctite. Also I never knew you should heat up Loctited bolts.

Odyknuck

• View Profile
Head stud installation
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 09:35:50 AM »
I use a stud installer/extracter. Works better than anything and a lot quicker than the 2 nuts routine. It looks like a deep wall socket and you use a 1/2" drive rachet. Its designed to grip the smooth part of the stud and not damage the stud.  They can be bought at any auto paerts store for around $15.00.

ludedude

• View Profile
Head stud installation
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 09:55:51 AM »
Cool, I had wondered if there was a special tool or method. I have 3 pilots now that I maintain so it may well be worth it.