Author Topic: Pilothawk's LT settings  (Read 2233 times)

rocketman

• View Profile
Pilothawk's LT settings
« on: April 07, 2004, 11:15:52 AM »
Pilothawk has a LT Pilot that turns extremely well - I was amazed when I first drove it.  The origional settings on mine was unbearable.  I was able to make some adjustments that improved it but it was still a handful in tight stuff. So when Pilothawk offered to let me borrow his Pilot to take measurements I jumped at the chance.
My disclaimer: The measurements are crude.  Pilot was placed on a level floor.  Front measurements were taken with a torpedo level and ruler.  The caster measured at the ball joints.  The camber was measured across two opposing wheel studs.  I feel pretty comfortable with the procedure since I used the same method to set my Pilot and took great pains to be as precise as possible.  So much for the disclaimer.

The front:
Caster - 2 degrees - top back (positive I think)
Camber - 2.4 degress - top in
Toe in - 2.25 inches - this is the one that is hard to believe.  I didn't put this much in mine and though it steers much better, it still does not steer as easily as Pilothawks.  An additional note,  Pilothawk indicated his steering was too squirrelly at high speed and intended to back off on the toe-in some.   Hopefully he will comment on that.

The rear:
Control arms are 17.75 inches eye to eye.
Swing arms are 15.63 inches eye to eye.

FL670R

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Pilothawk's LT settings
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 12:57:50 PM »
Cool

Thanks Rocket - I change one of mine and see if it helps...

Later
Dennis

ludedude

• View Profile
Re: Pilothawk's LT settings
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 10:52:44 PM »
Quote from: "rocketman"
Toe in - 2.25 inches - this is the one that is hard to believe.  

How is that measured? That's not the front of the rim is 2.25" narrower than the rear of the rim? What is your reference point for that?...I need to toe mine in some more then...

rocketman

• View Profile
Pilothawk's LT settings
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 08:41:09 AM »
Measured at the face (tread) of the tire.  22" Bandit in this instance.  2.25" is the difference between common points at the front and rear of the tires.  There were a couple of follow up comments on Kiowa's board you might want to check out.

ludedude

• View Profile
Pilothawk's LT settings
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 08:34:46 PM »
I set my toe in to ~1.5/1.75" measure to the center tread on 22" Maxxis Razzr II's. Works MUCH better than what I had before, but then again, it was way off ;)

PilotHawK

• View Profile
Pilothawk's LT settings
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 01:23:05 AM »
As a follup on the measurements for toe-in on my pilot. The initial measurements we made at Durhantown Plantaion showed close to 6" of difference between the front of the tires and the rear (front and rear of the front tires measured at the center of the tire width) measured at the same point! ( 22" bandits). After the first ride I noticed the pilot was very squirrely at higher sppeds, and I wanted to adjust the toe out some. After adjustment I still have clost to 3" of difference between the front of the tires and the rear, but the handling is much better than it was at high speed. I am going to adjust it out more (try to get it to 1.5" front to back and see if that makes any difference).