Author Topic: need advice on cooling a fl350  (Read 3704 times)

THAYSLETTE

need advice on cooling a fl350
« on: March 09, 2004, 06:33:18 PM »
i have the water cooled head FROM triple e and now i just need to now what type of radiator and what mounting set up i need. it has been bored to 1.5 on the piston stock pipe and stock carb rode it once and fried the top end lasted 45 mins. leaned out all of a sudden. please give me some advice.

MassOdy

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 07:26:08 PM »
Well I use a Goldwing Radiator. I got it on ebay. Keep an eye out they come up cheaper than I paid. ($75) But, it was a nice clean unit: no fan though.

I use Thermosiphoning so there is no pump. It works well. I used 1" Heater hose FROM the auto
parts store. I bought 6' and I used all but over a foot.

We use 50/50 mix on the fluid to water ratio. I learned recently NOT to use tap water. :(

I mounted it on the rear risers on a diagonal. I put a catch can on the side.

THAYSLETTE

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 01:24:51 PM »
why not tap water

MassOdy

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 02:40:26 PM »
Hoser was explaining to me about the mineral deposits and the additions that are put in our water.

350nut

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 09:42:54 PM »
Use only distilled or de-minerilized water only, tap water has impurites in it that can damage the head, etc over extended periods of time. :lol:

Hare

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 04:29:27 PM »
Tap water will destory a case or head over a short period of time, constantly refilling it wth tap water is the worse thing you can do, it will eat away the water passages, make it look like some weird worm creature ate thru the material.

Not to mention it leaves deposits and other yukkies along the way in radiator, this info also applies to ANY motor that runs coolant..car, truck, boat, fixed wing aircraft, dirigble, hoovercraft or Montgomery Wards Mini Bike (with water cooled head Mod of course)

MassOdy

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 05:03:47 PM »
Just beautiful. :) Time to change the fluid.

But I was told I was running the 100K mile Oil and Coolant. :o

cwwiedmaier

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 09:40:10 PM »
In this case of using tapwater, you are right. The minerals in the water are conductors of electricity and also it lowers the boiling point of water. I will explain myself, these two things combined the conductivity and lower boiling point cause cavitation due to electrolisis. A two cycle engine creates exsesive amounts of heat and electric energy kind of like static around the cylinder walls. when this happens it causes cavitation which is when the water molecules separate (like boiling) and the air bubbles beat on the cyinder walls where the heat is the greatest. Also the minerals react with aluminum and chemicaly disolve it slowly creating corosion and scale inside the water passages. This goes for all engines when all of you change your coolant in your cars or trucks you should use distilled water, I know I have seen cavitation chew through half inch steel liners in many diesel engines.

mudbogger

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2004, 10:42:30 AM »
You may try your local rad shop, sometimes they have rads laying around from older tractors, etc that will work just fine as well,just remember to attach the hoses the right way on your head,if you are thinking about running a fan on the rad, sometimes old electronic stores have fans used for cooling amps, etc that work well and they will give them to you for free in some cases,also SUMMIT racing catalog has tons of fans that may be used.I have 2 used rads from an older yamaha that I was thinking of using in a dual rad setup-if youre interested send me an email, Ill give them to you really cheap.

spynergy

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 12:49:01 AM »
anybody have the phone number for triple e?  I'd like to check out their water cooled head but they don't seem to have a website...

mudbogger

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 05:20:56 PM »
Number for Triple EEE IS 1-800-763-3762 ask for Sara,she'll set you up.

copper204

cooling a fl350
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2004, 02:39:47 AM »
I have a gl1200 radiator with a fan attached if anyone interested..

60.00   plus shipping

[email protected]

Or willing to swap for drive shaft  for fl250   or a good used air box for  FL350.....