Author Topic: Air box fiter and pre-filters  (Read 3525 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
Air box fiter and pre-filters
« on: February 17, 2004, 04:19:03 PM »
What do you guys get for a new air box filter? THe Honda OEM or buy a UNI FROM elsewhere? Got a UNI part number?

As well what are the K&N prefilter numbers? Thanks

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Re: Air box fiter and pre-filters
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 04:59:06 PM »
Quote from: "ludedude"
What do you guys get for a new air box filter? THe Honda OEM or buy a UNI FROM elsewhere? Got a UNI part number?

As well what are the K&N prefilter numbers? Thanks

Ludedude, I purchased the Outerwears Pre-Filter for the K&N Filter that came with my Pilot. I have attached a picture of the item. On the label are the different numbers associated with the filter and pre-filter. FROM this picture, I'm assuming this to be true:

1) K&N Filter for the Pilot is part number HA-4400.
2) Outerwears Pre-Filter part number for the K&N Filter mentioned above is 66-16-45TR ("R" is the color)

I certainly hope this helps a little!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 06:32:44 PM »
I'm going to run a UNI filter in the airbox, and 2 UNI pod filters with outterwears as prefilters..Thanks to Redrider for the info.

#UP5229OW (5" x 2 1/4" urethane flange) Rocky Mountain Part number indicating outterwears come included.

rpilot

air iflter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 08:00:49 PM »
i use uni in the box &then i used a hole saw to fit 3inn abs cut out the existing 2inn fitted the 3inn abs to the lid of the air box glue in a 4inn pice to the lid used a 45deg to go up rollcage put on a rubicon 400 uni at top were stock collector was used a folgers plastic can as deflector works great :lol:

stoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 10:29:42 AM »
the Uni pod filters do not come with the outerwares FROM Rocky Mt atv.
Have fun with the springs inside the pod filters haha.
BTW the Outerware for a 400ex fits pilot filter nicely.

DC

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 10:46:33 PM »
I have a uni filter in the box and will be running 2 Accel cool blue filters mounted near the top of the rollcage. I got the run down on the difference between the K&N filter and the Accel Cool Blue FROM a guy that used to work at K&N and is now at Accel. No outerwear is needed on the Accel filter because of the way the cotton is put together. The K&N filters cotton weaving is just randomly laid out buy hand which results in great air flow but uneven filtering. Supposedly the cool blue's cotton is laid out by a computer giving much more even filtering with the same air flow as the K&N. The guy told me that air flow and filtering capabilities are not exactly related like you would think. The K&N filters to 10 plus microns and the cool blue to 2.8. Im not sure what that means exactly in real life but the Accel engineer said that was a huge difference in filtering terms.

I have a few "samples" ( :D ) on the way. Hopefully they arrive before Ocala next week. I have the bracket to hold the filter all made up, I was just waiting to decide what filter I would be using before cutting holes and mouting the bracket and hoses.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 06:53:30 AM »
Quote from: "DC"
I have a uni filter in the box and will be running 2 Accel cool blue filters mounted near the top of the rollcage. I got the run down on the difference between the K&N filter and the Accel Cool Blue FROM a guy that used to work at K&N and is now at Accel. No outerwear is needed on the Accel filter because of the way the cotton is put together. The K&N filters cotton weaving is just randomly laid out buy hand which results in great air flow but uneven filtering. Supposedly the cool blue's cotton is laid out by a computer giving much more even filtering with the same air flow as the K&N. The guy told me that air flow and filtering capabilities are not exactly related like you would think. The K&N filters to 10 plus microns and the cool blue to 2.8. Im not sure what that means exactly in real life but the Accel engineer said that was a huge difference in filtering terms.

I have a few "samples" ( :D ) on the way. Hopefully they arrive before Ocala next week. I have the bracket to hold the filter all made up, I was just waiting to decide what filter I would be using before cutting holes and mouting the bracket and hoses.

Cool, get us some pictures and let us know how it turns out. THe micron numbers are the size of particles the filters will block...2.8 being the smaller. Much better, but not really necessary if it's used as a pre-filter only. Depends on the cost diffference, since I'm sure you're not getting "samples" for all of us :cry: :lol: :lol:

redrider

• View Profile
filters, outwears and inner springs
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 12:47:28 PM »
The outwears CAN be purchased through Rocky Mountain ATV as indicated (unless something has changed since I last purchased them). The number I provided #UP5229 is the uni part no. and by adding the letters "OW" to the end of that designation indicates that you want matching outwears with the filters. That number is for a 5" long x 2 1/4 dia" urethane flange universal pod filter with a stiffening spring inside. Stoneman had some trouble trying to remove the spring for cleaning and oiling. I have not had that same trouble to date with 2 different sizes of these filters. After you remove the spring the first time it is a good idea, utilizing pliers, to bend the spring ends inward a bit to keep them FROM trying to grab the foam as you REPLACE the spring. You can remove and REPLACE the spring by screwing it in or out with the direction of the coil.
I recommend that anyone going to a pre-filter setup research it on their own and make their decision based on what they wish to achieve as far as air flow, ease of maintenance, durability, etc. hoser has this very thing addressed in the technical portion of his website. I simply use the UNI Filter pods because I like dealing with foam filters and they deliver an air flow sufficient for my needs.

DC

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 04:50:13 PM »
Just to clarify, I would not suggest any one use the Accel or K&N filter with out the added protection of the outerwear filter. I am going to run this way as the cool blue is a prefilter and I will keep my unifilter in the box as the "real" protection against dirt getting in my engine.

After re-reading my post and Redriders. I have to say his statment is correct, do you own research, make your own decision on what to run, after all if dirt gets in your engine, youre going to pay to have it repaired, not the guys on this board.