Author Topic: Destructive Testing results (Bore-Tech & Digatron)  (Read 4345 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
Destructive Testing results (Bore-Tech & Digatron)
« on: February 17, 2004, 04:04:58 PM »
Did some destructive testing this weekend...blew a top end! Not really on purpose...but it did serve a purpose....I knew I was jetted lean...so I was testing the Digatron gauge setup. It was triggering the rev limiter and cooling the engine and "saving" it. But I guess prolonged hitting the LIMIT and triggering the rev limiter should not be used as a fail safe, more of a warning....like an engine oil light..warns you before you do damage, ignore it and you're in trouble. Now I may not have had the gauge set low enough on the EGT, but I think it was the continued hitting the high temps that did it. I have yet to download and look at the DATA that was logged by the gauge...should be interesting.

Plus this cylinder was one that was bored by Bore-Tech with their carbide bore process. Supposed to save a cylinder...and at initial glances..it looks to have held up well.

Like I said, I didn't really mean to do it...but I knew I was jetted lean, and wanted to see how the gauge would handle it...I guess I wanted to do it, just not have the top end go...:) :? Have another ready to go, so no big deal, ORDER a piston and rings and that one's a spare again. Next is to install a Dial-a-jet and test it out, should work well hand-in-hand with the Digatron ;)

twostrokes4ever

bumer
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 10:14:43 PM »
will bumer it blew,but is not to hard to fix, im rebuilding the top end on my lt250r right now because i blew it to, so know how ya fell :?

twostrokes4ever

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 09:46:18 PM »
hey did you get it all back together, and up and running, love to see some pics if ya got eney :)

ludedude

• View Profile
Re: .
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 11:25:51 AM »
Quote from: "twostrokes4ever"
hey did you get it all back together, and up and running, love to see some pics if ya got eney :)

I'm waiting on a piston and some head bolts....all my pictures are in the POG

twostrokes4ever

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 08:13:10 PM »
yea i know.. i look at theme almost every day..lol. but think you could get eney more pics :D i really like your pilot

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 08:13:59 PM »
just posted a video in a few different formats...

twostrokes4ever

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 01:12:27 PM »
who's all in the video, looks like a lot of fun, nice vid

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 02:37:07 PM »
my brother and his 2 boys, well one is taping, my brother in law and myself :)

twostrokes4ever

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 09:57:37 PM »
i thote your pilot was down, did ya get it all back together

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 11:36:53 PM »
that was the day of destruction :cry:

dhjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2004, 02:10:39 PM »
So where are the pictures of the dead cylinder? :)

hoser

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 12:05:30 PM »
Yes please post pictures of that cylinder I am and have been seeking more info on this bore tech thing since I first read about it years ago, so far all I have compiled is text written about it FROM a real small GROUP of people on the interent, I search and search the interent and find nothing outside our litte group, I have searched off the net and found nothing, I have had my Pilot seize on me two times now when parts FROM my crank bearings found their way between my piston and cylinder wall exerting so much pressure it brought the whole thing to a screeching halt both times all that was required was a simple hone and the cylinder was ready to use again , both times and both cylinders did not have the bore tech treatment.

I guess I am confused on how you seized your engine isnt your rev limiter temperature cutout thingie adjustable? Why not set it to cut out at say 1000 degrees then see how it reacts then inch your way up, the reaction time between actual cylinder conditions and the probe could be a few seconds more than long enough to bring your engine to a screeching halt if set on the edge, then you add in the extra sensitivity of those great, better than OEM, stronger, high performance wiseco pistons.... Soon as I heard my engine missing (on the rev limiter or cut out ) I would shut it down not just go WOT and rely on the gizmo to cool my engine so I can keep going well not until I did some real serious testing.