Author Topic: Quiet silencer for DG  (Read 15329 times)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Quiet silencer for DG
« on: December 01, 2009, 02:56:38 PM »
Many know the DG pipe makes the best power for the FL350. It is also well known that the silencer that comes with it does not dampen the sound enough. Here is something i am working on.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 02:58:29 PM by LiveWire »

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Quiet silencer for DG
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 04:19:38 PM »
 This was the hardest part to make.

lucky luciano

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:42:50 AM »
how is that silencer workin out?  do you loose any power? how much is the noise reduced? looks sweet!!

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 03:41:39 PM »
I have been having some difficulties with production. The pipe pictured is not attached to the engine. Being that I cannot modify the DG's bends, i ran into an issue where i cannot use a single bend outlet. It has to bend forward a little before it bends back. The bends are too close together to be made out of one piece of tube. So they have to be welded which adds another complexity to production. My regular welder does not do stainless. I just had 3 outlets made up. 2 are so i can get a couple done for someone who has been waiting on these. The third is to setup a fixture for making more. The silencer is straight through. I doubt there will be any power loss. i don't know the sound volume yet. These have 3 times the packing material of a DG silencer and probably 50% more than a FMF or Pro Circuit for a CR500. The last two have been used with modification to get the sound level down to legal levels at Silver Lake. The new silencer will also utilize both stock mounts instead of just one.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 05:13:09 PM »
DG is about 108db at idle and 118 at 2500 RPM. My silencer is about 95 at idle and 105 at 2500 RPM. I could not get the outlet to fit where the stock exhaust exited limited by the angle of the pipe stinger, so it 90s straight back. i shot videos, but I guess I have to convert them to post.

Tattool23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 10:04:15 AM »
I have been told by MANY that the DG does not make more power. It is simply a stock replacement just like all other DG exhausts. They r just loud and that's it. This y they r for sale online and other places and they do not sell. But the triple E and power pros r sold out everywhere. It's because they r the true performance pipe and silencer.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 10:13:46 AM »
I have a Power Pros pipe sitting on the shelf that I took off my machine to replace with a DG. The DG made a noticeable increase in power. It will pull 500 RPMs higher as I had a tach at the time I made the switch. Who are these MANY you speak of? Are they talking specifically about an FL350 pipe? Are they people who actually own an FL350? Have they actually tested both or are they just justifying their own purchase?

If the Power Pros pipe sells so well, I guess I should list the one I have on the shelf for sale. The reason they are out of stock is more likely because the company takes so long to produce them.

Tattool23

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 10:29:06 AM »
Randy from odyssey salvage, and people at pilot odyssey performance. Also a guy from new jersey who owns 7 350's. U should definitely sell ur power pros pipe. I would have bought it. I have been waiting for a long time now and still don't know when it will be. I guess the only way I would know for sure is to drive one with DG and one with power pros. I know I do not want an exhaust as loud as DG. I wonder how a DG pipe and then a power pros silencer would be? If I could get a decent price for both I think I would buy them to c because as with everything it's always one person saying this is better and the other person saying the other way. It sucks for us consumers cuz u don't know what's true.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 10:31:21 AM by Tattool23 »

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 10:57:39 AM »
So two people who sell Power Pros pipes and not DG pipes told you. Does this guy from New Jersey go by the screen name Mudbogger? If you know the screen name Litespeed, He had an FL350 with a DG pipe. I had a Power Pros on mine at the time I saw his machine. He insisted the DG made better power. I don't know if he had tried the Power Pros before or raced against someone. I didn't believe him at the time. I thought it was just a matter of him talking up what he had bought. It probably did spark my curiosity though to find out for myself. Back when Kiowa's Odyssey Pilot board was up, this was discussed and it was readily accepted that the DG was the winner.

I have actually spoken to Randy about him making the statement that the DG is a stock replacement pipe. I think he just thought it may be the case at one point and over time, it has become fact for him. He always refers to the power pros pipe as a Triple E because Triple E worked with power pros build to build the first pipes. Randy was getting his pipes through Triple E before they retired. If pilot odyssey performance thinks the Power Pros pipe is so great, why did he not run one on his own Odyssey? The one he sold on eBay for $6k+ did not. It had an FTZ pipe on it. Although I have never run an FTZ mysef, based on the performance of a machine I saw with one, it outperforms the power pros. It seemed to have power characteristics similar to the DG.

I don't think the power Pros was much quieter than the DG. Maybe I will pull it off the shelf this weekend and do a sound test with it since I have the meter.

I have also run a Kustom Kraft pipe. Kustom Kraft was big back in the Odyssey racing days. It has a hand built pipe. The power of that was the same as the DG. The DG has the same cone dimensions as well. DG not being known for doing extensive research may have copied that pipe's cone sizes, just routed it better. I did not think much of a pair of DG pipes I had on a Banshee. The FMFs I had later were better pipes.

Tattool23

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 02:03:09 PM »
Hmmm very good to know. I would love to know the sound Difference between power pros and DG. The DG is all black right? Did they make a polished version?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 02:39:36 PM »
There is a black version, but the ones I sell are nickel plated.

DG Extreme Pipe [Honda FL350 Odyssey]

The DG includes a larger exhaust spigot. The Power Pros pipe has to use the stock one.

trailnablaze

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »
Does the DG silencer come with a spark arrestor?  Is it approved for trails?  Anyone run Silverlake sand dunes have problems with DNR?  Thanks in advance!

Athis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 10:04:55 AM »
Live wire....I have a couple of questions for you. Your obviously a fabricator, but I noticed the second picture is a screen cap from a CAD system. Solidworks perhaps? Reason I ask is, I was wondering besides being able to design in CAD, what else do you use it for? Do you send out files for cnc programming?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
Does the DG silencer come with a spark arrestor?  Is it approved for trails?  Anyone run Silverlake sand dunes have problems with DNR?  Thanks in advance!

The silencer does not have a spark arrestor. A clamp on one for a 3" round silencer might work. I have thought about making a version with one internal. I would have to shorten the baffle and use 3 end caps. So the actual silencer part would stop short inside then go through a screen.

I have driven my machine at Silver Lake with this setup without being stopped. Being quieter helps because it does not draw their attention. It also helps that a large round can does not look like a typical aftermarket silencer. I think they assume is the original. Silver Lake does the stick test and due to the 90 degree outlet, the stick will jam up into the perforated holes on the front side of the silencer. If I did get questioned about it, my response would be to ask if I add a spark arrestor, can my daughter drive it in the dunes. An Odyssey is defined as being a sand rail, not a ATV since you ride in it, rather than on it. It requires a drivers license to ride on state land. I can drive my truck on the dunes without a spark arrestor, so I would argue that since not an ATV, a spark arrestor is not required.

Live wire....I have a couple of questions for you. Your obviously a fabricator, but I noticed the second picture is a screen cap from a CAD system. Solidworks perhaps? Reason I ask is, I was wondering besides being able to design in CAD, what else do you use it for? Do you send out files for cnc programming?

I send out CAD files for laser cutting. I do CNC milling in house. We have a 2 HP knee mill. I am in the process of retrofitting a 5 HP 24 position tool changer bed mill. The CAD screen shots are from a cheesy free CAD software. I used to manually write the CNC programs just getting the numbers out of CAD. Now I use an offline version of the mill's software along with a DXF import feature. I can't do 3D contouring unless I program it by hand, which I have for the inside of our billet intake manifold.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 02:33:57 PM »
I just realized the picture at the start is old. I couldn't get the layout to work quite right coming through that triangle in the frame. The final part has a 90 degree bend that exits straight back.