Author Topic: Paint codes for pilot frames  (Read 6123 times)

350nut

Paint codes for pilot frames
« on: December 10, 2003, 12:50:09 PM »
Anybody have a good paint code/color match for the frame paint by chance, if so was it Krylon, Rustoluem, or did you use another brand?Thanks for the help. :D

Bspill1

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 11:28:55 PM »
up

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 11:42:23 PM »
For touch up a lot of use rustoleum sunrise red. It is the closest match to be found in a rattle can.

Bspill1

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 01:04:47 AM »
thanks, I'll try that.

redrider

• View Profile
Paint may not stick
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 09:09:17 AM »
When touching up places on the frame or cage, make sure to at least lightly sand ANY areas that are to be sprayed.  The original finish, if still present, absolutely does NOT like to hold paint.  I usually try to use a little bit of primer under the finish coat, even for touch-ups.
Much of this depends on how into "pretty" you are.  What are your intentions for the appearance of your buggy.  Many of us who ride in the east on woodland trails, in coal country, and rock filled mountain trails gave up on "pretty" long ago.  These days paint is for rust control only!  :)

Bspill1

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 04:31:19 PM »
I just picked up and 89 pilot from Washington.  The majority of the welds on the frame have some paint breakdown.  I'm not looking to tear apart and make it pretty.  I'm just looking to kill the rust and covered it up.  Do you have any prima recommendations to go under the spray paint?  The NetFrame behind my head is a pretty bad shape also.  I think this thing might have been red once.  I'm going to try and pull the net off and clean it up also.  I'm pretty excited.  My first pilot!

dhjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 05:15:29 PM »
Hey BSPILL1,  havent heard from you in a while.  I take it your healing fine?  congrats on your pilot purchace.

Bspill1

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 08:19:13 PM »
what's up DH?  I've just been laying low, stocking all of these pilots up for sale.  I found exactly what I was looking for, $4500 and close to home.  I am going to try and get some pics up as soon as I get some help.  fortunately I got better help adapting the pilot then I do working on the computer.yes, I am doing well. :D I can't wait to get back out there.  I am shooting for next summer on these pilot controls.  Quite a project.  is that for real, moved to Mexico?  I guess no sea otter for you??  Good to hear from you.  You will probably be seeing more of me now that I am in the pilot business.  Thank you for the paint tips guys.

dhjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 08:25:14 PM »
cool glad to hear your doing better.  I got my screws out last wednsday, so I am back home healing with a watermelon sized knee.  Ya no more sea otter for me,  man no more DH racing for me either.  I figure with all of the gear that I lost from getting cut up and all the time I have lost  from work )goodthing I had disability insurance). It just isn't worth hucking myself down the mountain anymore.  Then couple that to the rate hike on entrants fee's and the fact that I probably would not be competitive anymore. Its no fun coming in last and paying through the nose to do it.  Both bikes are up for sale, but havent gotten any hits on them.  I'll go to the nationals in big Bear and try to peddle them off there.

Brian Verboom

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 08:26:30 PM »
Does that mean a new username!!!???

Bspill1

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2004, 10:37:35 PM »
huh??

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 10:43:57 PM »
for DHJ

Bspill1

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 11:01:27 PM »
oh.  I swear I didn't hit my head in the crash.

dhjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 11:04:27 PM »
HMMM I didnt hit my head either, well not that I know of. I know I whacked my knee though.
New user name???  I really dont know.  dhjunkie fits like a comfortable pair of underware.  :)

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 11:09:54 PM »
I know...just kidding...I'm selling my prelude and don't plan on changing my username either....oh, you thought ludedude was cause I'm a crude person....no, no, no...it's because of the car