Author Topic: front disc brake conversion possibilities?  (Read 8139 times)

lucky luciano

• View Profile
front disc brake conversion possibilities?
« on: October 01, 2009, 10:17:04 AM »
wondering if theres any way to convert the front end on my fl350r.  i read somewhere(in this forum i think) that the trx250r sindles will mount on, but dont give suficient stopping power because the odyssey is pretty much twice the wieght.  what about spindles from a heavier quad?  ive heard stories about people who mounted spindles with disc brakes from cars and just ran the rims from the car(im assuming something with like 12 or 13 inch rims like an old hyundai or something) with four wheeler tires mounted on them.  is this a possibility?  has anyone else heard of this?  if not, is it plausable?  any feedback is appreciated.  thanks!

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: front disc brake conversion possibilities?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 07:20:25 PM »
There are other issues with the 250R spindles like you'll end up with the top of the tires tipping out and have no caster.

I have a setup I started, but needs finishing. I modified a set of FL350 hubs by cutting the drum portion off. There are mounts off the back side to mount the rotor to. The calipers dual piston are Wilwood, the same as the front of the Drakarts. They will be mounted to the knuckles in place of the drum brake backing plates. Due to the limited clearance behind the hubs, the calipers end up outside them requiring a 12" wheel. 12" wheels are actually more available than 10" in the 4 on 110 pattern on the front of the Odyssey. I then planned to run a 23x8x12 front tire.

lucky luciano

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 12:23:22 PM »
  is there any pics of the hubs/brakes you're replacing the drums with somwhere?

fl670

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 12:01:35 PM »
i have 400ex spindles,hubs and calipers.i have no problem.there are tipped out on the top just a little,its a lot better than the stock ones ;D

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 01:55:52 PM »
Most of the improvement in braking was probably due to the drum brakes needing to be maintained. I can lock up the tires on mine with the drum brakes. When I switch to disks, I want a disk setup that can handle a 650lb machine, not those designed for a 350 lb one.

atvnut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 03:40:51 PM »
I know everyone thinks locking up the brakes is like the ultimate, but as soon as you lock them up your stopping distance just increased. keeping the brakes from locking up is the key, this is one reason I like the drum fronts. They give you controllable stopping power and you can still steer.
Thank you
"The Nut"

lucky luciano

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:15:36 PM »
i rarely squeeze the front brakes at all, if im using the front brake at all im tapping it.  i may lock em up for a split second at low speeds to gas keep the front end still while i gas it around tight corners, but thats the extent of it.  i want disc because i end up in the mud alot, and mud just stays inside the drum brake(once it gets in there) until the next time i take it apart.  with disc, at least the pressure washer can get the mud out after each ride. 

im currently working on an a-arm conversion kit using the bottom a-arms, spindle, and disc assembly from a polaris rzr....  i figure thats 1000 lbs, give or take,  should work for an ody...  im waitin on some extra funding right now,(story of my life)  but ill keep you posted on any progress/problems i run into.  ill post some pics once i get at least the bottom a-arms in.

atvnut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 12:52:17 PM »
the front drums are sealed pretty well it would be tough to get mud in there that couldnt be rinsed out
Thank you
"The Nut"

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 01:55:40 PM »
The use of side by side parts should cure the biggest complaint of using quad parts in a mini buggy, strength. All the performance upgrades going on in their suspensions right now should make "right sized" hubs and brakes available. Very interesting, lucky luciano.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 01:58:11 PM by odypilots »
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

atvnut

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 02:08:47 PM »
I have found that most of the quads that honda offers use the same bearings as the pilot/odyssey.
Thank you
"The Nut"