Author Topic: fl 350 mods  (Read 20718 times)

geetee150

• View Profile
fl 350 mods
« on: June 22, 2009, 09:19:03 PM »
 Hey guys,
I had my odyssey fl 350 for 3 years now, and i've seen and heard about squeezing in a Rotax double or triple something or other into it. I've seen the legendary Odys on U-Tube.And unlike the Loch Ness Monster, there are pictures too.
 All the Odyssey gurus out there, may i ask the question that i'm sure everybody is begging to ask:

WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO PUT IN THE ROTAX 583(580?)OR BIGGER MOTOR IN MY ODYSSEY? WHAT MODS?WHICH RADIATOR?WHICH BELT?LETS TALK ABOUT MOTOR MOUNTS TOO,SHALL WE.

I need to know everything. I can do everthing myself,'cept weld.
If ain't broke you should make it go faster anyway.

Beetlejuice

• View Profile
Re: fl 350 mods
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 12:57:59 AM »
I Second that.   And Good pics are worth a thousand words, or a lot of typing.......  I would love to know whats out there that people have done to get me started on my recent purchase. Which is still all stock........ well as much as it could be.   Fender missing... options?  any after market that are close?  or re-man?  Can you flip the front wheels for a greater offset?    Would that be Bad?   What would be the best way to set this up to drift mainly?   cr500 head possibilities?  true or false?   thanks   
Attempting to nurse back to life an old used lightly abused VT rat.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 10:30:46 AM »
Without being able to weld, it is going to be difficult or expensive to put any other engine in. A 583 or any twin for that matter ends up with the recoil starter through the frame on the right side when you line up the clutch. The Pilot frame is wider and you have probably seen more Pilot engine swaps than 350s.

It is feasible to put a CR500 cylinder on an FL350 bottom end. The cylinder has to be cut down both on top and bottom. A longer rod needs to be used because otherwise so much would need to be cut off the bottom of the cylinder it will cut into the reed block. Just like the Pilot conversion, the studs need to be moved out wider in the cases. The 350 transfer ports are wider than the Pilot and they line up better with the 500s but there will still need to be porting done on the cases and the cylinder to line them up. The ports also need to be altered to compensate for the 11mm difference in stroke.

I have an engine sitting on my bench that is 68cc over standard bore. I have yet to install it and fire it up. A standard bore CR500 cylinder would put it at 96cc over standard FL350 bore.

Go here for  FL350 fenders.

Flipping the wheels is bad. The yoke will get ripped out of your hands when you hit a hole. You want the wheels to have as similar offset to stock as possible.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:33:42 PM by LiveWire »

Beetlejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 04:24:42 AM »
Thanks so much for the great response!  I will call, thanks.  here is the old rat and what I have to start with.
Attempting to nurse back to life an old used lightly abused VT rat.

fl670

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 12:06:15 PM »
 ;D i have a skidoo 670 in mine

civic99lx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 04:09:05 PM »
;D i have a skidoo 670 in mine

What  is  the  clutch  you have  use  into  please .  Do  you have  use  the  stock 670 rotax clutch   or  you have  use  a  comet  clutch  ?  tanks  A+

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »
Hey guys,
I had my odyssey fl 350 for 3 years now, and i've seen and heard about squeezing in a Rotax double or triple something or other into it. I've seen the legendary Odys on U-Tube.And unlike the Loch Ness Monster, there are pictures too.
 All the Odyssey gurus out there, may i ask the question that i'm sure everybody is begging to ask:

WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO PUT IN THE ROTAX 583(580?)OR BIGGER MOTOR IN MY ODYSSEY? WHAT MODS?WHICH RADIATOR?WHICH BELT?LETS TALK ABOUT MOTOR MOUNTS TOO,SHALL WE.

I need to know everything. I can do everthing myself,'cept weld.

You gotta do ALOT...There are tons of them out there. 2 BIGGEST problems PIPE and CLUTCHING. Building something that FITS vs something that SCREAMS is what you are against. Fitting the piping from a twin behind the seat of an oddy is no short order. Then keep in mind ALL of the clutch angles and parts from the sled you choose to use are going to have to work the same on the Ody. A custom engine mount must be made to duplicate X,Y,Z of the sled...otherwise you will NEVER be happy.

Buy a DRAKART lol.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 12:46:53 AM »
It's not a Odyssey, but here's some pictures of my Pilot with a 597 Rotax in it that may give you some ideas. Unless you buy a kit, I doubt any measurements from someone's conversion will work for you. Every bit would have to be identical for them to work. I've seen an engine mount kit on Ebay, but don't know anyone who's used it. Factory 45 is right, it's a lot of work, and the little stuff will wear you down after you get excited about finishing the big stuff.

http://www.downhomeracing.com/opr/page32.shtml
http://www.downhomeracing.com/opr/page34.shtml
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 10:29:56 AM »
It's not a Odyssey, but here's some pictures of my Pilot with a 597 Rotax in it that may give you some ideas. Unless you buy a kit, I doubt any measurements from someone's conversion will work for you. Every bit would have to be identical for them to work. I've seen an engine mount kit on Ebay, but don't know anyone who's used it. Factory 45 is right, it's a lot of work, and the little stuff will wear you down after you get excited about finishing the big stuff.

http://www.downhomeracing.com/opr/page32.shtml
http://www.downhomeracing.com/opr/page34.shtml

This thread was actually a ploy to get you to share your build secrets...LMFAO. That is a VERY professional swap...love the new FNR input. GREAT JOB on the piping as well. At a quick glance...looks almost stock due to the stock location. VERY NICE cutom tank...is that your TIG welding?

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 09:39:51 PM »
 I can't take credit for much of anything. AtvNut designed most everything. I'd suggest things, but Jeff was usually a couple steps ahead of my thoughts, why it wasn't the best way. We took the buggy to Canada to have DMax build the pipe, and he also made the fuel tank. The input shaft was made by Micro Belmont in Grand Rapids

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 11:47:10 AM »
Its funny because I had talked alot to jeff abot the input shaft and a new secondary...and all the mods we needed to do to make it all work. Was the FNR mount trimmed on this application? Or was that just on the Mutt?

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 03:48:13 PM »
No trimming of the FRN on mine, but we did trim the brake caliper bracket to maintain alignment after the brake relocation.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
Jeff trimmed his trans because he used an opposed piston caliper.

atvnut

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 11:23:54 PM »
I have the input shaft for the fnr the engine, pipe, fuel tank, and silencer to duplicate this set up
Thank you
"The Nut"

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 07:33:16 AM »
I have the input shaft for the fnr the engine, pipe, fuel tank, and silencer to duplicate this set up

To clarify, the man of few words (  :-* ) has those pieces to duplicate the setup on my Pilot. Just so no one thinks it's for a Odyssey.