Author Topic: 38 carb specs  (Read 2904 times)

Yamahammer

• View Profile
38 carb specs
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:59:26 PM »
I need to know a starting point for a 38 mm flat slide carb on a fl350 ported, piped, 102 clutch,(purple spring), boyseen reeds sea level.Motor is on its second bore and everyhting is rebuilt and fresh, Running aftermarket tank gravity feed vacume port plugged on clutch side.

Also is there a better boot or elbow to connect to this carb set up for stock air box or do you have a sugestion on another.

Is the stock carb sufficent for this set up or is the 38 needed? The carb looks preaty old and may want to replace is ther a better option.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: 38 carb specs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 05:28:31 PM »
Since ported, I would suggest a 38 or 39 when ported. The most commonly used would be the 39 PWK. I would start off with a 180 main in that, needle that comes in it raised one clip position and a 45 slow jet. After testing, you'll probably end up at a 175 main and clip back in center slot.

The tube from the carb to air box can be stretched after heating in boiling water over the larger carb. The engine side however, will end up tearing after a while. This intake works well: http://aftershockmotorsports.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6&products_id=77 especially with the V-Force 3 reed cage.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:11:36 PM by LiveWire »

Yamahammer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 08:44:12 PM »
Thanks for the info i forgot to say its a mikuni carb not kiehn.
tm38 on the front intake to carb i got the airbox on i grinded the hose a litle and boiled as said its just a pain to work on or jet because of the dificulty of the elbow.
 The carb has a flat slide square un like the simi flat slide of the pwk.
Is the pwk a better option and does the choke hook up to the cable on the pwk it is currently on the mikuni

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 08:41:23 AM »
I have known of two people trying to use a TM38. Both were a nightmare to jet. It just seemed like it was never right. The PWK is a far better carb. The stock choke cable threads right into it.