Author Topic: Pushing oil out vent  (Read 1602 times)

camz281974

• View Profile
Pushing oil out vent
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:09:20 PM »
Have 2 FL350R's both have had the gearcase vent modification done to them years ago. Replaced the dipstick with a fitting, ran halfway up the rollbar with tubing to a small resevoir and continued up the rollbar. Looped it there and ran back down to a filter to prevent dirt from entering. Since the modification I have always had a small amount of oil get up to the resevoir which I contributed to slinging. No big deal as I never had to add oil in between services. Last season (live in New England), I was getting oil all the way through the tubing and exiting the filter on the engine that I first did the modification to. The other FL350R seems to be fine. I have been checking and topping off the oil level before each ride as to not do any damage but would like to correct this. Engine runs great as always and does not seem to be lean. I am thinking the crank seal on the PTO side of the engine is bad and pressurizing the gearcase forcing the oil up the vent. Has anyone else had this problem and replacing the seal is the solution or is a leak test in order. Thanks in advance.

nevadanotch

• View Profile
Re: Pushing oil out vent
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 07:09:31 PM »
I think your diagnosis may be correct.  Perform a leak down test to be sure.
High Speed Soil Sampler!

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Pushing oil out vent
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 01:12:15 PM »
I would agree it sounds as if the seal is leaking.