Author Topic: Aluminum parts  (Read 1793 times)

toyman280

• View Profile
Aluminum parts
« on: March 07, 2013, 10:15:31 PM »
Just wondering why every bumpers,Nerf bars, etc for the pilots are all steel. My quads bumpers,Nerf bars, etc. are all aluminum as wall for my bike. wouldn't a aluminum front bumper be better for taking impact. it would bend before the frame.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Aluminum parts
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 05:31:56 AM »
If the bumper is made out of thinner steel than the frame, it will bend first. However, most people don't really want a bumper that will bend before the frame. Even if agreed upon in theory, people get mad when the part they bought bends so easy since the stock frames on an FL350R and FL400R are .065 welded seam tubing. The FL400R's front bumper mounts are much weaker than the FL350Rs though. If the frame gets dented where the mounts are, Big Tom back in the day came up with the solution of cutting the welds on the end caps and driving another tube through to force the dents back out. The tube is left in strengthening the original frame tube.

Aluminum is harder to weld and harder to bend. If you do bend an aluminum bumper then straighten it, it will likely crack. It work hardens right while working with it. So it may require annealing multiple times depending on the bend process.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Re: Aluminum parts
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:23:12 AM »
Aluminum is also more expensive. Weight on a 350lb quad is more important that weight on a 650lb buggy, plus there are more racers on quads than FLs. The old "I want to be like Mike" situation. I'm not sure if aluminum would be better for absorbing impacts. My thoughts are proper design and wall thickness of the tubing could make either material suitable.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)