Author Topic: 77 FL250. Intermittent spark issues.  (Read 3200 times)

samheck3

• View Profile
77 FL250. Intermittent spark issues.
« on: January 02, 2013, 12:28:08 AM »
Hey guys, So i just picked up a couple project 77 FL250's off a guy. I basically took the best parts off of each and made one for now. I have completely rebuilt the top and bottom of the engine. New crankcase bearings, oil seals, and gaskets. Good pressure on the bottom end. My cylinder is 1.5mm oversized, is still within spec so I had it honed at the machine shop and picked up a new piston kit. I also bought a new coil and condenser assembly (genuine honda part). I assembled the entire thing and it won't start. Not even pop once or twice.
I have been diagnosing it for the last couple weeks here and there and found out that I have intermittent spark. I have gone through the entire electrical system and have set the points to the correct timing and checked to see if they were functioning according to the manual and they are. Here is my issue. I am pretty sure my primary ignition coil on the stator is going out and so it takes a few pulls to charge the coil and thus generate a spark.

Does anyone have the clymer manual with the specs for the ignition coil on the stator? and possibly the gap between the flywheel and ignition coil? I am pretty sure the coil on the stator isn't adjustable but I'm just trying to cover all my bases. Or any sort of troubleshooting guide for the electrical system? Like I said I have a new coil and condenser and have tested it multiple times and it reads 10k ohms. Which if I'm not misunderstood is within spec.

I'm about ready to rip my hair out I'm so frustrated! I have dumped about $400 into parts and am pretty tapped out on cash for this project. I have $100 bucks left and am looking for a good functioning stator and flywheel that is the 6 volt points system.

If you have any ideas that I haven't already listed feel free to post. Or even better if you have the stator and flywheel I mentioned that works I would love to buy it off you. I'm feeling like I've wasted way to much money on this thing, I need to hear her fire to gain some hope, haha.

Thanks again.

Sam

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: 77 FL250. Intermittent spark issues.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 08:41:47 AM »
Here is the Honda Service Manual. I don't know if those specs are in there or not. https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B851Fdu_42hLa2xfaFZQWmdTcmFrMTF2STFNYkdpZw

samheck3

• View Profile
Re: 77 FL250. Intermittent spark issues.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 12:07:54 PM »
Afraid not. I practically know that manual by heart now, haha.

Thanks anyway