Author Topic: FL350 with Polaris 600CC motor  (Read 6057 times)

sal@dtmotorsports

• View Profile
FL350 with Polaris 600CC motor
« on: September 11, 2012, 11:18:52 AM »
Hey guys! New to the forum, had a few questions. A customer brought in a 85 FL350 that needs some drive train work. Now, I believe most of this drive train is custom. I heard the guy originally had the motor installed by a guy in Winnimucca, NV, Haven't been able to get a hold of him yet but currently working on it.

My Question is, are any of these drive shafts and sprockets factory? I've seen a few pictures of stock ones and this looks all custom. The problem is the upper shaft and sprocket is bent. I've looked at the honda service manual to see if they possibly used the factory shafts from the transmission but it doesn't look to be the case. If anyone around here has any ideas or suggestions on were to look or what im dealing with please chime in!

Thanks in advance,

Sal

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: FL350 with Polaris 600CC motor
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 05:52:19 PM »
Ouch Sal...none of that stuff is stock. Its all gonna have to be ordered for whatever drive hubs are on there...fitting that keyed shaft. The parts you will find nowhere in any honda manual. That is not at all the way honda designed it. Someone removed the transmission from that machine and designed that chain reduction. Livewire may be able to elaborate on those parts...but sad to say you may be better getting advise from Minibuggy.net on that drive setup. They are all usually home made in the absence of a good or strong enough gearbox...or money.

As far as the shaft...it could be a jackshaft from the sled used to do the swap. (just sawed off way short) Or some sled secondarys just slide onto a keyed shaft...slide the clutch off and see if it is splined or keyed. You may need to just go get the appropriate size round stock and have it keyed and lathed. I see alot of transplanted sled parts the more I look...my bet is its a sled jackshaft Sal.

If the engine is a 600 Liberty...you should have no problem getting a jackshaft from ebay. There are a ton of polaris sleds that came with that engine/drive.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 05:52:35 AM by Factory 45 »

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 09:11:37 AM »
If you can post the pictures here directly, it would help. They look like typical AG sprockets, weld hubs and flange mount bearings. The output shaft is from the 350 trans. Most of the off the shelf parts on it were bought from some place like Tractor Supply. None of it is meant for the RPMs it is turning.

These are not the sizes, just posting for the pictures to see what kind of stuff this is:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/bearing-1-1-4-in-relube-0-946-lbs-weight-1198212
http://www.tractorsupply.com/3-bolt-triangular-stamped-steel-flange-1-1-8-in-id-x-1-1-45-in-od-1198725
http://www.tractorsupply.com/w-series-hub-1-in-bore-1170484
http://www.tractorsupply.com/weldasprocket-reg-assembly-40-chain-1-2-in-pitch-48t-hub-series-x-1181207

sal@dtmotorsports

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »
Sorry guys, shop has been busy...

Gonna take it apart this week. Gotta find a new sprocket and bring the new sprocket with the old shaft to a local shop and have them make up a new shaft. Need to pick up some u-joints, those little buggers are expensive! Found some for 200 EACH, couldn't believe it, unless any of you know of a better place. Gotta get back to work-

Thanks!

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 12:15:37 PM »
I take it you are referring to these U-Joints:
http://www.aftershockmotorsports.com/Honda-FL350R-Odyssey/Drive-Line/Heavy-Duty-Replacement-U-Joint

The original U-joints have very thin caps. By the time the joint is worn and pressed out, the yoke is no longer perfect. If you could get the original joints, the thin cap would allow distortion without proper support. If you use a joint with a thicker cap, the cross is thinner then it fails. So the joint needs to be made special to be strong enough. Going to a larger joint is not an option due to space constraints that machine does not have without the gear box. So you could get custom axles made with a maybe a standard 1350 joint.

sal@dtmotorsports

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 11:37:25 AM »
Thanks for the information, I'll keep ya'll updated when I finally get some work done on it.