Author Topic: Fuel mix & Engine cut out wont start PLEASE HELP  (Read 2011 times)

clutzygrl

• View Profile
Fuel mix & Engine cut out wont start PLEASE HELP
« on: July 05, 2012, 03:29:41 PM »
I have an 84 fl250. I was riding it through the trails and it was going good then on the way back we took the road and I slowly felt I was loosing power and then the engine cut out and not it wont start now(it will turn over though). It has a spark not a strong one but its there, and I tried ordering a new ignition coil, have to return it cuz its the wrong one, but I am wondering if it maybe something different causing this issue. Since I got it, it has not liked to start too easily after its ran a while (electric start on it), I don't know if this may have any relations to why it wont start now. And it will not idol on its own, to keep it running (when it was working) I had to feather the throttle. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!  :D

Also can anyone tell me what the fuel mix is supposed to be at??

Thank you

girth first

• View Profile
Re: Fuel mix & Engine cut out wont start PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 09:50:12 AM »
The fuel mix should be 32:1 as for your starting issue have you checked the compression.

clutzygrl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:34:50 PM »
It has good compression. I had the coil tested that fine.
Thank you I have been running 50:1 because thats what the guy I bought it from told me.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 03:08:19 PM »
What is the compression in PSI? The FL250 has a very small pulley for the pull start rope. It will feel hard to pull when the compression is too low to run.

abrahamsengine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 09:30:55 AM »
What does it do when you try to start it?  If you get some pops like it is trying to start, it is most likely a fuel issue or compression.  If it doesn't do that, try putting some mixed fuel in the air intake.  Pull the top off the air filter and dump it in.  Do not put in more than about 2 teaspoons.  This should make it fire a few times, maybe even start for a few seconds.  If it does, then the problem is fuel related.  If not, it is likely either compression or ignition.