Author Topic: FL 350 Axle Upgrade?  (Read 3078 times)

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
FL 350 Axle Upgrade?
« on: July 05, 2012, 05:34:39 AM »
We have now broken 2 Ody axles out on trips. This time the buggy made it all day and snapped on our way back to the trucks. Now it wasnt like this one just broke all by itself...Luke was locked up full binders sliding when he skipped off the trail. We were coming from a wide open run...he was behind me in the dust...had to slow down for a trail entrance.
This axle had ALSO been broken and was waiting to get finished off...so when he slammed into the trail entrance it broke @ full bind. The bearings are twisted in the carrier...so its gonna get a left carrier this time too. I have the hook up to have my next axle X-rayed...but WHO if anyone has made a stronger 350 Axle ?!?! (just the outter portion @ the hub)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: FL 350 Axle Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 07:17:43 AM »
I think the issue is metal fatigue on the old axles. I have been wondering what cryo treating would do to them. Cryo treating newly hardened material is supposed to make it tougher, more able to take shock load. Since old hardened metal seems to get brittle, I would think cryo treating would help greatly.

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:07:21 AM »
I agree...but who has made new axles? Anyone? Along the line somebody must have come up with a custom made one somewhere. I would love to prototype one...but if somewhere someone has one...why bother right?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 11:31:19 AM »
No one to my knowledge has made complete replacement axles. I have one made and the parts to build another axle that use an FL350R inner and a VW outer CV with a slip joint in the middle. A new lower link needs to be made to replace using the axle as one. Once the stress of being a suspension component is removed, the inner U-joints should be able to use the ones people try to pawn off on eBay that will break. I also have steel sleeves that accept the Set 35 bearing that is used with the outer CVs and the hubs. The hubs are 4 on 100mm so adapters are needed for 4 on 130. I was going to laser cut some adapters, but have not as of yet.

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 08:12:06 AM »
Sounds kinda neat...will talk to you more about that setup up and coming. Luke really loves his 350 and it wont be going anywhere EVER after this ride. We just dont wanna have to rescue it when we are out on trips. Are the axles 930 VW?

PS Shock stubs I built worked PERFECT and when the axle failed it DID NOT twist the daylights out of the shock.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:12:49 PM »
No, Porsche 930 is a gigantic joint. They are Rabbit CVs like the early Drakarts ran.