Author Topic: Engine gasket kit?  (Read 1767 times)

ttyR2

• View Profile
Engine gasket kit?
« on: June 03, 2012, 10:04:32 PM »
Is the Vesrah engine gasket kit good quality? I'm looking for the full engine kit, ebay has it for $65.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Engine gasket kit?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 07:28:30 AM »
The Vesrah and Athena are good gaskets. The Athena has the advantage of being able to use all three layers instead of two of the head gasket is you cut apart to bump up compression. Both come with a paper base gasket unlike the aluminum OEM one. So you either want to get an OEM base gasket or do the counter balancer vent mod.

ttyR2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 08:13:40 AM »
Is the counterbalancer/starter oiling issue fixed with the OEM Honda base gasket, or is the vent mod still recommended to keep oil out of the starter?

I noticed that the bearing that came with the starter rebuild kits I bought is sealed on both sides, instead of having a metal shield on one side like the stock bearing on the end of armature shaft.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 08:27:42 AM »
Keeping the oil at the low mark on the dip stick per the Honda Service Bulletin and the revised Honda base gasket fixes the issue. A sealed bearing in the starter will keep the oil out, but then it just stays in the previous location which is with the stator if the original problem is not fixed.

ttyR2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 05:31:08 PM »
I'm definitely going to install a vent while I have the engine torn down for repairs.