Author Topic: cool head vs stock head  (Read 1719 times)

PilotDriver

• View Profile
cool head vs stock head
« on: June 03, 2012, 06:37:48 PM »
i posted this question up on pilotoddyssey and got a rather nasty response so i'll try over here.  i am in the process of building a 400 pilot, rebuilding a stock 400r motor i had in the garage.  20 years ago when i raced these things, we didn't have cool heads so i'm asking what are some performance numbers.  i don't want to hear "it works, there are not numbers".  obama said that a few years back and look at the mess we're in.  i'm not going to be racing it, i want to build it to be reliable and perform just as well if not better than the original.  cooler parts mean less wear.  can anyone please tell me what they saw in peformance, did it drop the temps down over the stock head?  i'm told there there are 2 domes, different ccs with the one running on pump gas, the other for race fuel. 

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: cool head vs stock head
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 07:39:51 PM »
If you are looking at one for improved cooling, you'll see a bigger drop raising the radiator higher. The design of the Pilot head with the studs out at the edge allows it to flex if shaved and compression raised. The billet heads are stiffer. So it is a fix for blown head gaskets.