Author Topic: FL350R WON'T FIRE UP ..  (Read 1462 times)

holanpd

• View Profile
FL350R WON'T FIRE UP ..
« on: April 13, 2012, 02:54:34 AM »
OK, I WAS RUNING MY ODYSSEY ON WENSDAY TRYING TO GET THE CARB TUNNED JUST RIGHT BC IT WAS RUNNING RICH. AFTER RIDING IT I TURNED THE ENGINE OFF AND YESTERDAY WENT TO START IT UP BC I'M TAKING IT TO BY FARM THIS WEEKEND AND IT WOULD NOT START. IT HAS SPARKS AND THE COMPRESSION SEEMS TO BE GOOD BC WHEN I PULL THE CORD IT POPS MY THUMB OF. ONRE THING I DID IS I ADDED MORE FUEL TO MY MIX SO IT WOULDN'T RUN SO RICH, COULD MY MIX BE THE PROBLEM ? CHANGE 2 SPARK PLUGS AND STILL WON'T FIRE UP.

PLEASE HELP.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FL350R WON'T FIRE UP ..
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 05:01:44 AM »
To start with,adding more fuel doesn't lean out a mix,it makes it richer....Air can't mix with oil,so the more oil in a mix,the more parts per million of air is mixed with fuel...It may smoke more with more oil,but the cooling properties of the fueldrops off dramatically...You need to get an accurate way of mixing fuel and mix it at 32:1 with a good quality oil....No outboard oil from one of the major chain stores....
Have you checked the battery? I know it's turning it over,but I have seen the 350 get a very weak spark because of low voltage,even though the engine still turns over with the starter,and the engine will not fire off because of it........
Hoodlum

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:53:58 AM »
In addition to displacing fuel, the additional oil makes the mix thicker and less flows through the jets. Once thing on the 350 is the factory slow jet is on the large side. With that dropped from a 52 to a 45, the rest is usually pretty close for near sea level summer temps.

In addition to what Hoodlum said about the spark, they often will spark fine with a starting to go electric starter if you removed the spark plug from the head. Try testing with a second plug.

holanpd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 09:19:59 AM »
SO BY ADING MORE FUEL TO WHAT I ALREADY HAD IN THE GAS CAN MAKES IT MORE RICH ? ALSO I HAVE THE CUP THAT TELLS ME HOW MUCH OIL TO PUT IN THE GAS SO I GUESS I WILL DRAIN THE TANK AND START OVER.. DOES THAT SOUND LIKE A GOOD IDEA ?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 11:40:07 AM »
Yes, adding more fuel would make it more rich. Yes, draining and starting over with a 32:1 mixture would be a good idea.