Author Topic: Cheapo seat upgrade!  (Read 3224 times)

mikehtiger

• View Profile
Cheapo seat upgrade!
« on: February 15, 2010, 10:32:31 PM »
Hey everyone!
     I was tired of my old mildewy seat that my FL250 came with and I decided to upgrade.  I wanted something that I could wash off with a pressure washer, so cloth and leather were out... I was looking for steel or fiberglass or plastic.  

I came across a woman selling two AK Rocker chairs which are for video gaming: http://www.amazon.com/AK-Designs-Rocker-Gaming-Chair/dp/B000LT2GHK.  The chairs have a cloth cover but underneath that is a molded plastic chair. I figured what the heck, and picked them up for $20 a piece, then I got to tooling.  

This is what I did:

1.  Remove seat and seat pan and back leaving just the cross member that held the seat pan in place

2.  Dissassemble the Rocker chair

3.  Have a beer

4. Put seat in position I wanted it.

5. Cut a 2x4 (should have used metal or something but I was a bit lazy) to fit in the seat pan crossmember to support chair

6. Drilled holes through front of chair (bottom only) and match them up with the two screw holes in the front of the frame (where seat pan attached)

7. Scratched Butt

8.  Used hole saw to cut two large holes through bottom of plastic just behind the aforementioned holes so I could stick my hand and a wrench in.
9. Ran approximately 3" bolts from bottom of seat pan holes to the front of the seat and secured with nuts/locking washers.

10. Drilled holes through bottom of seatpan crossmember through wood and both plastics in the seat.

11.  The back locks in to the front so I affixed it now.

12. Secured with about 4" bolts, nuts, and locking washers.

13 Sliced through plastic with soldering iron in the back of the seat where it touches the crossmember that has the seatbelts on it.  I made slices on the two parts of the seat that were touching above and below the crossmember and fitted hose clamps on both sides by weaving through the slices.

14.  Picked Nose

15. For God knows what reason this video gaming chair that isn't susposed to move faster than you can rock it has seatbelt holes in it.  So I ran em through and hooked em up!

This is what it looked like when it was done:

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Seat
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 06:39:59 AM »
Very creative...Looks good....
Hoodlum

mikehtiger

• View Profile
Cheapo seat upgrade!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:14:45 PM »
Here are some more pics!  I cleaned her up a bit and took off that nasty yellow tape from the roll cage, new paint coming soon!

mikehtiger

• View Profile
Cheapo seat upgrade!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 08:38:20 PM »
Painted the fenders tonight!
And here's the update with a before pic!

1grindking

Cheapo seat upgrade!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 08:54:16 PM »
lookin good thats a good idea bout the chair bolted in it

cupcake

• View Profile
Cheapo seat upgrade!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:05:26 AM »
Problem being is its too straight upright to be able to ride confortably for any length of time. AND ITS BOLTED DOWN ON A 2x4. really?