Author Topic: easy main jet access pilot video  (Read 3212 times)

Adnoh

• View Profile
easy main jet access pilot video
« on: February 07, 2010, 12:20:32 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trxfl400&search_type=&aq=f

I posted up my way of accessing the main jet  in twelve short videos for those who struggle with it and burn, twist, scrap and throw whrenches when doing a jet change on there pilot.

Feel free to ask any question or comment on videos. Theres always a better way to do things.

I will also take sugestions on what one would like to see how the back yard hacker does it on other parts and issues as well.

Summer coming and time to hit the garage.

Any way enjoy and feel free to laugh and poke fun. Fun is what it's all about.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 06:02:26 AM »
Cool stuff!

It's exceptionally pleasant to come across someone that want to teach and share like you have.  My hat's off to ya!
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

lutrev

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:36:23 AM »
Excellent job. Cant wait to see a total engine rebuild some day. Maintenance, not blown motor. :wink:

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 07:23:29 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.

I would like to share some info on the driven. I had mentioned the fact in my video that there is a way to optimize and maintain the performance of the driven.  

First of all the Honda Manual under Belt converter section 10 list the standard and service limits.

Driven spring 5.99 inches round up to 6 with a service limit of 5.51 inches which I round down to 5.5.

I had also mentioned the fact that I remove the drive and driven for storage and relax the springs. By this I mean return the spring to it's static length ( at rest  )or no load.

Why?  Well as a spring has a load on it over time it,s free length changes. A good example of this is the way the bike sets with new springs on it at a certain sag % but over time due to the load on the springs it settles and changes the sag #. This is referred to a settling in.  The free length at no load has changes. Now for the fun. The rate of the spring has not.  UM. So whats the big deal.

Here's the deal. Les say the 6"spring has a rate of 50 lbs and the spring moves one inch that's 50 lbs. If the spring settles to 5.5 and the spring is moved 1" it's still 50 lbs. Now if we add preload poundage rut ru. IF we add two inches of preload on the 6" spring the preload poundage ( or spring load) is 100 lbs. And if the spring relaxes/settles to 5.5 inch the two inches of preload now is at 75 pounds of spring load.

Whats this do to the driven. The driven has a pre set preload in inches and the spring load can be effected by settle or change in free length of the spring. This same principle apples to your shocks if your wondering. On the shocks the preload in inches can be changed as the springs relax restoring the ride height. This is why one must log the preload poundage or static load on the shock. If the load is set at zero and the spring relaxes the sag increases and the spring can unload during full extension and effect the performance of the shock.

OK, back to Driven. To help explain this I added my data to a spreed sheet so one can understand better the effect of the spring load. This is fairly accurate information and the first time I ever shared with others.

One can shim the spring to return its spring load to new condition upon maintenance and yearly assembly of there driven spring on the driven simple by measuring its free length.

Now for the fun. One can change the preload poundage for different applications. Granted its only a slight change but can be helpful under different loads.

The Honda manual say on 10-2 under trouble shooting, Poor performance at high speed or lack of power do the following:

Worn drive belt
Weak driven face spring.
Faulty driven face,
Faulty torque limiter.

First the belt Check the belt for wear and what its doing. Is it cupped, gotten hot and came apart or what. I like to log the belt sides angles in hours. and the RO or cupping. I use only stock belt because there cut right and top speed is achieved with them. I preformed test to prove that one in my case on my bike.

Yep weak driven spring will not let it stay on the pipe to make it short and simple. Compare this to adding big paddles to your quad or to high of gear. It simple bogs. Remember the spring rate has not changed but the spring load has.
Loss of grip ( belt burn) and to quick of up shift.
WHAT, the up shift is controlled by spring load UM Um.  If the spring load has an effect on grip would it also have an effect on back shift as well. UM UM.

Just trying to get you thinking.

If the drive face is worn the cupping will increase and the belt width change is changing the gear ratio and this will also prematurely change the belt width below the service limits. Now if one was doing maintenance and checking the driven they may be saving money on belts and beating there buddy's pilot that has the same mods just by good maintance. The grooved face will also effect up shift by stalling the gear change until enough rpm is increased so the belt can slid past the change in angle. There's another speed tip.

This effects the acceleration. Just imagine ridding your quad and you and your buddy take off and out of the corner you rap the heck out of it till it hits the limiter then shift up to fourth. Mean while your buddy is on the gas keeping it in the torque range and shifting from second to third then fourth.  Well all you see is dust.

I think you get the point.
When I read thruough the manual I always ask my self why and try to find the ansawer. Since our machines are getting over twenty years old we afto try to keep them in good running order. Just ask your self did you ever consider the driven. Adding a pipe and more compression aint gona help, just hurt if the dirve and driven do not operate properly. I do not like to think of my bike as fast just farily well maitained. And like most learn something new every time I work on it. Now that fun and I like to have fun.

OK ,OK, heres the pic of the spredsheet for the driven spring load and free lenght and rate on upshifts. Remember no engineer or or professional just a hacker So please do use this as fact in stone just a guide to maintain the spring load on the driven.

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 06:47:42 AM »
I went ahead and put the info in a new excell speedsheet work book so one can down load and play with the rate for fun to see what it does.

All you need to do is enter new rate in the rate box. and compare the data. I used as a base 40,45 and 50 in three sheets for comparison.

Have fun. See ya when I return from lost wages ( vegas).

Oh ya this is an microsoft excell sprredsheet.

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 07:34:26 AM »
I did a search for cvt tunning  and found this I copied a section of the Topic related to the driven spring. It's good read but the whole thing does not applie to the pilot since the drive and driven are diff but gives an idea of the principles.

Excert:
The rear torque-driver spring also has a very specialized function which is to maintain enough tension on the belt to keep it from slipping.

This also is a bit of balancing act because too much belt tension translates to inefficiency. It?s kind of like over-tightening the chain on your bicycle- power is wasted by over-stretching the belt.

On the other hand, too little tension and the added power of your recent engine modification will vanish as heat generated by belt slipping and won't find its way to the rear tires. The trick is to find the just the right tension without overdoing it

Site:
http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=190896

yropr

• View Profile
Re: easy main jet access pilot video
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 02:22:29 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trxfl400&search_type=&aq=f

I posted up my way of accessing the main jet  in twelve short videos for those who struggle with it and burn, twist, scrap and throw whrenches when doing a jet change on there pilot.

Feel free to ask any question or comment on videos. Theres always a better way to do things.

I will also take sugestions on what one would like to see how the back yard hacker does it on other parts and issues as well.

Summer coming and time to hit the garage.

Any way enjoy and feel free to laugh and poke fun. Fun is what it's all about.

Do you still have this video on youtube? This link doesnt go to right video
thanks