Author Topic: has anyone stroked the fl350 with a fl400 crank?  (Read 1545 times)

djcapri50

• View Profile
has anyone stroked the fl350 with a fl400 crank?
« on: November 11, 2009, 07:11:03 PM »
I'm asking this question because I have to totally rebuild my lower end due to the piston having a hole in the center of it and pcs of the piston being in the lower end thru the bearings (got it blown up).. Heres the question has anyone put a long rod in the fl350 engine? Say the rod or crank out of the pilot engine to turn it into a long rod set up I'm sure there'd have to be a spacer plate made for it prob .190 or .250 thick for it. I've built 250r motors with a long rod set up out of the newer 87 up engines with spacer plate and big bore 330 cylinders. Just wondering if its as easy as putting a 400 crank/rod or just the rod with a spacer plate in it? I know it would change port timing but still want to know if its been done and was there a big difference in doing it? Also has anyone tried the pilot cylinder on the 350 lower end?  All answers would be appreciated.     Thanks Darrell

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 07:36:38 AM »
Yes a long rod is doable. The pilot crank will not work in the ody. A stroker for the ody would require a new pin location in the crank halfs. The stock crank will need to be bores at the pin location and a new sleve installed. Then the case will require some work by adding material and machining. Lot of work and money. SInce your filmilaure with long rod kit for the 250 the ody should be piece of cake. Do look over the port timing before starting and maping. Also look over the piston crown location at BDC ( bottom dead center) and the amount of squish clearence with the stock and single layer head gasket. A water cooled head and jug will be required for peak power. Depending on your pipe choice the please consider squish velositys as it the head design will be dicated by the rpm. Over rev not a real big deal however power loss and heat build up at sustained over rev would have negitive effects on the piston and most likly burn it up. While on the subject of rpm the time from exhaust open/duration and tranfer open in degrees will need to be kept in check or the piston will over heat. Theres a good starting point for thing to consider.

djcapri50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 07:55:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I wasnt sure if it has been done before and what was involved in doing it. Its definitlly something to think about know weather or not to do it. Thanks Darrell