Author Topic: ODYSSEY HAS LITTLE POWER  (Read 1658 times)

kdxman777

• View Profile
ODYSSEY HAS LITTLE POWER
« on: November 09, 2009, 06:34:19 PM »
I HAVE A 1984 HONDA ODYSSEY. THE ONLY THING THAT HAS BEEN DONE WITH IT IS IT IS FRESH BORED 20 OVER AND HAS A UNI AIR FILTER. THE REST IS STOCK. I CLEANED AND PUT THE CARB BACK ON IT. IT FIRES RIGHT UP AND IDLES BUT HAS CRAPPY AND SLOW THROTTLE RESPONSE. YOU HAVE TO EASE THE THROTTLE TO GET GOING FAST OR ELSE IT CUTS OUT. IT HAS LOTS OF POWER ISSUES. I AM THINKING IT NEEDS BIGGER JETS FOR THE UPSIZED PISTON BUT I NEED SUGGESTIONS. THANKS FOR ANY HELP

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: ODYSSEY HAS LITTLE POWER
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 08:30:36 PM »
Quote from: "kdxman777"
I HAVE A 1984 HONDA ODYSSEY. THE ONLY THING THAT HAS BEEN DONE WITH IT IS IT IS FRESH BORED 20 OVER AND HAS A UNI AIR FILTER. THE REST IS STOCK. I CLEANED AND PUT THE CARB BACK ON IT. IT FIRES RIGHT UP AND IDLES BUT HAS CRAPPY AND SLOW THROTTLE RESPONSE. YOU HAVE TO EASE THE THROTTLE TO GET GOING FAST OR ELSE IT CUTS OUT. IT HAS LOTS OF POWER ISSUES. I AM THINKING IT NEEDS BIGGER JETS FOR THE UPSIZED PISTON BUT I NEED SUGGESTIONS. THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Chances are you need to raise the needle clip to lean the mids,and possibly lower the main...In doing the top end,you could have cured an air leak,which would cause it to run very rich...
Hoodlum

kdxman777

• View Profile
Got power but still have problems
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 04:22:14 AM »
ok i have got alot of power now but i am still having issues. it has goodthrottle response now but cuts out at higher speeds and after riding for about 10 minutes it starts to bog and shut off. may it need a bigger jet?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Got power but still have problems
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 05:13:08 AM »
ok i have got alot of power now but i am still having issues. it has goodthrottle response now but cuts out at higher speeds and after riding for about 10 minutes it starts to bog and shut off. may it need a bigger jet?

Does it start back up right away or after waiting a few minutes? Cutting out at high speeds could still mean the main jet is too large...It also sounds like by bogging and dieing that the fuel filter may be clogged,or the fuel pump is weak...
What did you do to improve the throttle response and power?
Hoodlum

kdxman777

• View Profile
ODYSSEY HAS LITTLE POWER
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 01:52:53 PM »
lowering the needle jet gave me back alot of power but it cuts out at higher speeds. it will sit and idle forever but dies after about 10 minutes after riding. it usually starts right back up after dieing.  By lowering the main jet size wouldnt that make the engine receive less gas? Wouldnt the engine need a bigger jet?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: ODYSSEY HAS LITTLE POWER
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 02:34:46 PM »
lowering the needle jet gave me back alot of power but it cuts out at higher speeds. it will sit and idle forever but dies after about 10 minutes after riding. it usually starts right back up after dieing.  By lowering the main jet size wouldnt that make the engine receive less gas? Wouldnt the engine need a bigger jet?

You're thinking 4 stroke...Bogging usually means too much gas...Have you done any plug chops?

kdxman777

• View Profile
odyssey has little power
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 06:10:00 AM »
what does chopping the plug mean? i am also going to get a smaller jet.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: odyssey has little power
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 06:29:21 AM »
what does chopping the plug mean? i am also going to get a smaller jet.
Run it wide open for about 10 or 15 seconds,shut the engine off and without letting off the gas,and let the oddy roll to a stop...By doing this,you can look at the plug color and tell if it's rich or not...Do a search for plug chops and i'm sure you'll find more info already posted...
Hoodlum