Author Topic: What is a good motor swap for fl350?  (Read 2500 times)

gmcjimmy4x4

• View Profile
What is a good motor swap for fl350?
« on: September 16, 2009, 08:01:44 PM »
I just got my fl350 for $350. It had been sitting outside for 3 years im told. It needs a real good cleaning. Well i tried to see what works and what didnt last night. The motor started right up but idled fast and kept getting faster and faster. Then it started making a metal to metal sound but similar to a backfire. Next thing i notice a puddle of milky looking oil under it. Theres a good size crack in the bottom of the case. So now im thinking about upgrading to a larger motor and was wondering what woulod be a good donor. Want just a little more power and hope water cooled, and not too difficult of a swap. Any info you have on old motor condition and donor wouold be great.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What is a good motor swap for fl350?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 05:48:03 AM »
Quote from: "gmcjimmy4x4"
I just got my fl350 for $350. It had been sitting outside for 3 years im told. It needs a real good cleaning. Well i tried to see what works and what didnt last night. The motor started right up but idled fast and kept getting faster and faster. Then it started making a metal to metal sound but similar to a backfire. Next thing i notice a puddle of milky looking oil under it. Theres a good size crack in the bottom of the case. So now im thinking about upgrading to a larger motor and was wondering what woulod be a good donor. Want just a little more power and hope water cooled, and not too difficult of a swap. Any info you have on old motor condition and donor wouold be great.

High idle is an air leak more than likely...The milky oil is probably from water getting to the fuel or lower end,or balancer area, and the metal sound is probably due to the water causeing your lower end bearings to fail....The crack in the cases can be welded...FYI,there are no easy swaps...All of them take tremendous amount of work...
Hoodlum

gmcjimmy4x4

• View Profile
What is a good motor swap for fl350?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »
Well, i dont mind alot of work. I just would like to avoid having to change the main frame design. Fabricating mounts and stuff is no problem.