Author Topic: you guys are nuts!  (Read 3985 times)

polassey

• View Profile
you guys are nuts!
« on: August 04, 2009, 07:45:07 PM »
I have been reading the posts on here for over a year. It all started when I shelled out 2800 bucks for a go cart(fl 350) and it lasted all of 10 min. the piston melted., I started scanning the internet to see what was up, And found out from you and another 1000 post all over, Honda who I normally respect made a pc of S**T! There was no way I was putting that motor back in!!!!!!!!!  Long story short: Polaris HO 500 motor  trouble free, more power and hey NO COMPRESSION LOG BOOK!!!

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: you guys are nuts!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 08:16:25 PM »
Quote from: "polassey"
I have been reading the posts on here for over a year. It all started when I shelled out 2800 bucks for a go cart(fl 350) and it lasted all of 10 min. the piston melted., I started scanning the internet to see what was up, And found out from you and another 1000 post all over, Honda who I normally respect made a pc of S**T! There was no way I was putting that motor back in!!!!!!!!!  Long story short: Polaris HO 500 motor  trouble free, more power and hey NO COMPRESSION LOG BOOK!!!

Actually, there are a lot of folks that have had very reliable odysseys..Most melt downs are due to either an air leak,running too lean, or not enough tolerance in the piston/cylinder...Most problems that occur to new engines are left to the blame of the builder...Most never built 350 engines, and don't realise that there are lots of things that apply to most 2 strokes don't necessarily apply to 350's...I bet the 500 makes good power though...
Hoodlum

Adnoh

• View Profile
you guys are nuts!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 10:31:30 AM »
It's nice to here alterantive thought. I do not belive hoda made a piece  of _ _ _ _ . After they reduced the bore because of trouble. Every one I seen was because Most including me wanted more preformance. The main issue was that the replacment piston that were availble were not manafutured with a quality that was required t survive under the harsh usage set forth on them.  I like looking at the onther side of things and believe everyone is intitled to there opion. I yet to see any other MFG that has built such a ATV that has the longjifity and indurance of the odyssey and pilot. Not say they have issues just less than others. Most blame the MFG for problems to wich the bike has been modified withut using modified adjustments. This is why with any preformance improvment require testing and change in the way it's maintained. This is why at the drag strip top fuel are torn down every race. They upped the preformace levle of there cars to the max and that type of maintance between runs are required. The stocker it is the less maintance required. I belive every engine should be built to the standed of one maintance levle.

I do belive there is always room for improvment on any machine. I would enjoy reading your thought on the imporvments you made and the benifets.  Compression logs are nothing more than one step in maintace like checking your oil levle and checking it for contamation. One who fells to do so will experience a failure. I have a modified 450 r which gets its oil changed every two tanks of gas. The 450 run hot and I run it hard, so the added maintance is worth it to me to maintain a high levle of preformance. I have seen the yahama 450 get reved past the mfg standard and fail as well as the honda ect. So should I call them all pieces of trash. I have sen 450 owner bolt up a pipe and open the air box with out jettiing running very lean and burn it up. Who's fault there.

I ask you go easy on us pilot odyssey owner or not and judge each on there own merits. If the truth hurts so be it, I for one can take so feel free.

We all do enjoy pics care to share.

One final thought on the odyssey motor. Once I figued out need to done to keep it alive once modified  75 hours are not out of line between top ends.

I have been told I'm nuts before. I took it as a compliant.

polassey

• View Profile
you guys are nuts
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 07:27:47 PM »
Sorry if my post sounded a little harsh and I will admit you guys have really done your homework on the Odysseys and because I read so many of your posts I had to just replace that motor, But I respect the heck out of you on how hard you guys work to keep it all Honda and years from now your will be worth alot more than mine, also if anyone needs any hard to find part(engine ignition exuast clutch ect ) let me know, it's just sitting on a shelf!  I'll try to get some pics up in the next couple of days.   Thanks,    Bill.

Adnoh

• View Profile
you guys are nuts!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:52:13 AM »
Thats reaaly nice of to offer up your old parts to some one in need. I would like to here  more about your conversion and see some pics. I would bet there is some insterested odyssey owners out there looking for an alteritive to the stock power plant. As you say parts are getting hard to find. Maybe I should go talk to a race car buddy about building a new chasey based on the pilot and figure out the rest. See what you done you sent down a new path.

Thanks.

Your still intitled to your opion wheather I  like it or not. This is the land of the free. So I respect that.

polassey

• View Profile
conversion pics
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 07:13:51 PM »
I will say this not much difference power wise between the HO 500 and the stock 350!!

polassey

• View Profile
more conversion pics
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 07:16:43 PM »
sorry had to do it this way

polassey

• View Profile
more conversion pics
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 07:19:57 PM »
sorry had to do it this way

polassey

• View Profile
conversion pics
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 07:24:47 PM »
last ones!

Adnoh

• View Profile
you guys are nuts!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 08:45:03 AM »
Very nicly done. It sure looks like there no loss in power. Bet it's a blast to drive.  Is that the stock driven on the trans. From where you setting I can see why you think were nuts. I can see many application for what you have done.

polassey

• View Profile
Hey
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 10:46:39 AM »
Yes that is the stock driven. You have more low end with the 500 but the very short time I got to feel the 350 I was not dissapointed! I would never do this swap just for more power. Like I said I just bought it and it melted the piston so I had no choice but to do something with it, But the swap cost me an honest $2000.00 to do and I don't think I could sell it for that, o'well you got to do something fun...      Bill.

redskinman

• View Profile
you guys are nuts!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 10:44:58 AM »
nice job
you need to get some video on youtube and provide a link for it

polassey

• View Profile
Thank-you
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 06:26:44 PM »
Thank-you

gmcjimmy4x4

• View Profile
you guys are nuts!
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 05:12:23 PM »
What did the 500 motor come out of? Ive been considering an engine upgrade and not sure how to pick a motor? There are soo many choices, but you never know what kind of roadblocks youll run into untill you get started. Is it still a 2 stroke?

polassey

• View Profile
Motor
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 06:22:50 PM »
HI, The motor is aPolaris HO 500 4 stroke off a sportsman 500 4 wheeler, I just bought the motor the is a dealer who sells just parts called pinwall cycle in Navarre Ohio, If possible if I were you I would buy a complete bike so you have everything so you don't have to buy  one pc at a time! like I did. Theres alot of good motors for swaps, go to you tube watch some vids and see what other people are using. Have fun!       Bill.