Author Topic: Idea for econmy LT kit for pilot  (Read 17627 times)

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
video
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 09:19:07 AM »
Quote from: "PilotHawK"
Dump media player and download winamp.

You da man PH!!! Got it...
As for the bumpsteer, that's not bad AT ALL......I think you are on the right track....
Hoodlum

Adnoh

• View Profile
Idea for econmy LT kit for pilot
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2009, 04:30:32 PM »
Here is some pics of the reworked stock arms. I used an old set and welded up the proposed shock relocate to see what it looked like. I will test out and let you know. So far it has cost under $7.00 in parts. I have made sure that tie rods clear and there no binding any where under full bump ( compressed )to full droop (extened ) right and left lock. I did make a slight change in the bracket location to even out the bump steer at full droop. I thought it better to go toe out on bump as not to effect steering input. I did not install any bump kit yet since it's the wifes and being a lady the easier the steering the better.

The wife came out to see whats up and said Oh no you don't, put it back to which I replied too late. Can't wait to do the back of the pilot.

Question on the rear for the woods guys. Would a +2 or + 4 be better or would stock width and more travle be wanted.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
LT
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2009, 11:23:53 PM »
I don't have a problem with the stock rear the way it is with the shocks I have...The front was always the weak link....
Hoodlum

turbotexas

• View Profile
Re: bumpsteer
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2009, 07:49:10 PM »
Do you have any video of yours in action??? I wouild like to see how this is so much different from the 350 to the 400!
I have thought of swapping the arms to the pilot I have to see if it works any better, but need good detailed pictures to copy setup...
ANY pictures of this in action???

Quote from: "Hoodlum"
Quote from: "adnoh"
Fl 670 I wanted the input for how to move forward with kits development. The ansawers dictate the work involved.  10" is cheaper than 12" of travle. The radius rod deflection ( twisting force on the rubber mounts cause deflection steer in the rear) is greater on 12" than 10" and stock rod rework not recomended. The shock valving and spring rate will also be effected if stock rods used inplace of new rod end type. To me it makes a diff but for other maybe not. It would make a $150.00 dollar diff.
The rear shocks can be upgraded for $250 for high low comp and rebound as long as I can keep the shaft under 9" This is also were the rod end come into play greater adjustability with the rods end on the low speed. If stock rods used the dual adjust would be a wast of money.

Hoodlum, the bump issue is defently an issue I did not know his kit bumped that bad. By chance does his kit rake. I did my numbers with the trx set up and disc. I will test with longer stock set up using the drums. The rake effects bump steer on bump by changing the tie rod position to the rear on bump( compression). Move the tie rod back and then cycle and you will see the effect.  Would It also is effected by the locationof his kit pushing it forward on the plu arms ? Thoughts for test.

Pilot hawk, Hope your ok. sound like the lt kit is to late for you. Please share your thoughts.

Hers some pics of the wide body kit using stock works shocks.

Not sure how his kit works...I tried forever to get some true to life numbers on the amount of travel and how much bumpsteer is in it, but it seemed to make some kinda ticked off when the question was brought up,so I gave up...All  I ever got was speculation that you COULD do this or you COULD do that, but no one knew the end result ,and I don't think they still do....I know stoneman has it on his, but the only thing I have seen on it is a video that looks like it pushes pretty bad....
I do know this,on my kit, it has +/- 12 in. of travel,and there is no way possible to make it workwith stock tie rods...They would definately hit the frame at full droop....I am interested in what you come up with...Keep those wheels turning!!!!!
Hoodlum

turbotexas

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2009, 08:43:09 AM »
I ain't trying to start no drama, but in an effort to see your questions/answers I searched all your posts... http://www.pilotodyssey.com/phpBB2/search.php?mode=results&sid=b311078f78865abb7148110cd905e36c

I didn't find any discussion from a rooky/hoodlum?

I am seriously looking at the yoda kit! reviews from 3 longstanding members in the PO community! One of the kits is at glamis now, and I have talked with afastcar who has seen this kit in action! Afastcar has a long travel kit from someone, and claimed hosers pilot was better handling and went everywhere his did!!!

What questions did you have, and did you email yoda directly??? Maybe I can find the answers for you???

Fl 670 I wanted the input for how to move forward with kits development. The ansawers dictate the work involved.  10" is cheaper than 12" of travle. The radius rod deflection ( twisting force on the rubber mounts cause deflection steer in the rear) is greater on 12" than 10" and stock rod rework not recomended. The shock valving and spring rate will also be effected if stock rods used inplace of new rod end type. To me it makes a diff but for other maybe not. It would make a $150.00 dollar diff.

The rear shocks can be upgraded for $250 for high low comp and rebound as long as I can keep the shaft under 9" This is also were the rod end come into play greater adjustability with the rods end on the low speed. If stock rods used the dual adjust would be a wast of money.

Hoodlum, the bump issue is defently an issue I did not know his kit bumped that bad. By chance does his kit rake. I did my numbers with the trx set up and disc. I will test with longer stock set up using the drums. The rake effects bump steer on bump by changing the tie rod position to the rear on bump( compression). Move the tie rod back and then cycle and you will see the effect.  Would It also is effected by the locationof his kit pushing it forward on the plu arms ? Thoughts for test.

Pilot hawk, Hope your ok. sound like the lt kit is to late for you. Please share your thoughts.

Not sure how his kit works...I tried forever to get some true to life numbers on the amount of travel and how much bumpsteer is in it, but it seemed to make some kinda ticked off when the question was brought up,so I gave up...All  I ever got was speculation that you COULD do this or you COULD do that, but no one knew the end result ,and I don't think they still do....I know stoneman has it on his, but the only thing I have seen on it is a video that looks like it pushes pretty bad....

I do know this,on my kit, it has +/- 12 in. of travel,and there is no way possible to make it workwith stock tie rods...They would definately hit the frame at full droop....I am interested in what you come up with...Keep those wheels turning!!!!!

Hoodlum

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2009, 10:39:57 AM »
Quote from: "turbotexas"
I ain't trying to start no drama, but in an effort to see your questions/answers I searched all your posts... http://www.pilotodyssey.com/phpBB2/search.php?mode=results&sid=b311078f78865abb7148110cd905e36c

I didn't find any discussion from a rooky/hoodlum?

I am seriously looking at the yoda kit! reviews from 3 longstanding members in the PO community! One of the kits is at glamis now, and I have talked with afastcar who has seen this kit in action! Afastcar has a long travel kit from someone, and claimed hosers pilot was better handling and went everywhere his did!!!

What questions did you have, and did you email yoda directly??? Maybe I can find the answers for you???

Hoodlum

Deleted

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
LT
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
After reading my last post,I only want to apologise...I found myself sounding just like some of the people that thrive on keeping the group split apart,and I have no desire to be an accomplice to that...
Turbo,you tell me what you want to know and see,and I will help you any way I can...All I ask is you stop the crap talk about me and others,just because you haven't had the same success as we have with getting the front end set up right...We ride hard,and in an environment ,even though they are sometimes gromed trails,are very demanding on equipment and suspension..We carry very high speed through very twisted trails with a bunch of jumps,and I don't mean small ones either...I have tested the suspension on not only bumps,but on hard landings as well,and after leaving every RZR in the dust,not to mention personally owning one and knowing it's limits,I think after reading your Texas race reports,if anyone isn't pushing their machine to it's limits,it's you...Especially by letting one beat you...You should be coming in first every time...
You can ask me here so that Hoser will keep his nose out of where it has no business being,and we will get a bunch more accomplished...I think you still have my number,and you can feel free to call if you like....

turbotexas

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2009, 07:01:57 PM »
well until you race or in that matter ride on something a little more challenging than a dusty trail I have seen videos of your rides with the camera mounted on the pilot... not much action from that point of view... then hold your comments about where I finish to yourself... If my ody would turn as well as you claim your pilot does then I might be able to beat them, but you obviously have NOT read my reports or you would know that in the races in the ody I was constantly hitting tress in the tight roads and then would catch up in the long straights...
with the new stock pilot the only time I hit a tree was when I was push/bumped from behind by another racer... Same course different ride...
There will be video up soon from the other drivers so I won't have to say no more...
now... why does no one except myself post any kind of actual footage of this kit from Aftershock??? Why have others contacted me on youtube and claimed they have had the lock up problem also???
I have the setup exactly as was instructed even thoufgh I was MISSING critical parts and when I had questions I was blasted and called stupid???

So some third person point of views of your one handed set up would be greatly appreciated, before I go thru the trouble oftrying to use these +4 arms on my pilot with a trustworthy steeringh system...
I suggest re-inforceing your hiems a bit too, when I am done with the thanksgiving race I will drag out the ody and brace the pieces that keep BENDING and causing mine and others lockups... If you know of other satisfied customers ask them to join any site whether it is hosers or this one...
And BTW why does every one hate hoser??? All I have ever seen him do was go out of his way to help everyone... newbie or old hands???
I never could figure that one out???
And dont hate me because I get more seat time in a month than most do all year...
I hate driving a truck for a living, but by God as long as I get to take my toys with me and ride in places most can't even dream about going to I will keep on doing it LOL Hell to make 12-15K every time I go ride what a deal LOL

So go find some people to film your ride!!! Didn't a bunch of ya'll just do St. Josephs??? Maybeone day I will get lucky enough to make one of them... I gaurentee ya'll will like the shit out of me!!!

turbotexas

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2009, 07:23:47 PM »

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
LT
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2009, 07:43:13 PM »
I don't hate hoser,I just have trouble tolerating his mouth and attitude towards some people that I KNOW are good people...He has a problem with carrying grudges for lifetimes...
Back to the suspension...What exactly are you bending that is causeing it to lock up?I haven't recorded any suspension shots because I have never had the need to...Why hasn't there been any videos of me?Probably because I am the only one in the group with a helmet cam...
Those trails in the video look pretty tame to me....You should have no problem out running the utv's in them...By the way,if someone bumped you in the rear end,knocking you off course,that means they caught you...

turbotexas

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2009, 08:13:35 PM »
you know what go ahead and be an ass...

Ozpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2009, 08:15:13 PM »
I'm about to say a few things I probably shouldn't.

The reason Hoser is hated is because he has always been in the middle of rubbish like this.   I haven't shared any cyberspace with him for years and I like it like that.  I have been around the pilot boards since 1998 and have travelled across the world for the one and only purpose of meeting up with people I met through the pilot boards.  I know the history.  My personal view is his hypocracy and negative attitudes have done massive damage to the community and I doubt he could ever make up for it.  New people will come and go and they're welcome to adopt him and he is welcome to attract them.  That's got nothing to do with me and that's fine.  I have never been impressed by any of his OWN knowledge or skills and I don't like him as a person - so I just stay away and stay happy.

What's the constructive side of this?  I have learnt in over 30 years of various motor sport competition and rec riding/driving that you should either do your own testing and have confidence in your learning and results or you should turn to others for advice and listen to one person only.  If you get ideas from all over the place nothing will ever come together - especially on stuff like suspension.  Make a choice and listen to one person.  I often listen to one person till things are close then do my own testing from there on if I feel I have understood precisely why things are working or progressing.  If there is something I don't understand FULLY I listen to one other person and I try what I am told to try.  I always pick somebody that has a history of success with the gear I want to use.  This process has rewarded me over the years.

From what I've seen Hoodlum had success from day one with his suspension.  It seems from what is written in this thread that nobody from Hoser's side of things can get this type of front end to work.  [Possibly intentionally - but lets not go there].  I would either listen to somebody that has a history of getting gear identical to mine working or I would scrap that gear and buy something else that the people I like to listen to have (if their's works well and they have acheived results I want with that specific gear).  I see it as a simple choice.

Hoodlum - I wouldn't waste my time.  But, you know me (a bit), I can't be bothered with people that ask me a question, don't listen, ask somebody else then tell me I'm an idiot.  I guess I'm just a cranky old bugger.

And Hoodlum or any other moderator - if you don't want this post here just delete it - I'd have no problem with that.

turbotexas

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2009, 01:11:01 AM »
OMFG I must have accidently stumbled onto a JR High school chat room???
I am sorry I asked for some video or pictures from the ONLY working kit I have heard about similar to the one I have and am thinking of adapting to my new pilot... I didn't ask for oppinions or points of views from some guy from the other side of the world??? Who probably ain't never talked to HOSER???
And then he is so childish to imply that some damn truckdriver is buying a pilot (after wanting one for years) and plotting with others about some dillusion squabble that happened back before I even knew what a pilot or odyssey even was???
Adnoh has video of what he has done, others have shared video of ATVRacing stuff with me... This is the besyt way I know how to learn by visually grasping something...
Just so you idiots know a little about me before I got into these off road cars...
I figured out how to dance in front of Rodeo Bulls and did so for a living for 8 years because I WANTED TO!!
I then taught myself to make custom rodeo chaps and saddles... I had a video that I watched several times... I have my name in the credits of one motion picture "8 Seconds" http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0589958/
and did contract work for another major motion picture "All the Pretty Horses"
BECAUSE I WANTED TO!!!
Now I drive a truck and travel to where ever I WANT TO to ride my toys
because I WANT TO!!!
I CAN AND WILL FIGURE THIS FRONT END JUNK I BOUGHT FROM AFTERSHOCK MOTORSPORTS BECAUSE I WANT TO!!!

All the while you two losers will do nothing but talk smack about hoser because you obviously have some history/drama that I could really care less about???
I have better things to do than to give you an opportunity to bash me or anyone else...

Adnoh I apologise for asking for some video and believe me if I would have known these drama queens would have acted like this!!!

Grown men???

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
LT
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2009, 01:57:04 PM »
OMFG I must have accidently stumbled onto a JR High school chat room???
I am sorry I asked for some video or pictures from the ONLY working kit I have heard about similar to the one I have and am thinking of adapting to my new pilot... I didn't ask for oppinions or points of views from some guy from the other side of the world??? Who probably ain't never talked to HOSER???
And then he is so childish to imply that some damn truckdriver is buying a pilot (after wanting one for years) and plotting with others about some dillusion squabble that happened back before I even knew what a pilot or odyssey even was???
Adnoh has video of what he has done, others have shared video of ATVRacing stuff with me... This is the besyt way I know how to learn by visually grasping something...
Just so you idiots know a little about me before I got into these off road cars...
I figured out how to dance in front of Rodeo Bulls and did so for a living for 8 years because I WANTED TO!!
I then taught myself to make custom rodeo chaps and saddles... I had a video that I watched several times... I have my name in the credits of one motion picture "8 Seconds" http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0589958/
and did contract work for another major motion picture "All the Pretty Horses"
BECAUSE I WANTED TO!!!
Now I drive a truck and travel to where ever I WANT TO to ride my toys
because I WANT TO!!!
I CAN AND WILL FIGURE THIS FRONT END JUNK I BOUGHT FROM AFTERSHOCK MOTORSPORTS BECAUSE I WANT TO!!!

All the while you two losers will do nothing but talk smack about hoser because you obviously have some history/drama that I could really care less about???
I have better things to do than to give you an opportunity to bash me or anyone else...

Adnoh I apologise for asking for some video and believe me if I would have known these drama queens would have acted like this!!!

Grown men???

Not a Jr high chat room,but I will tell you where you are....You are on a site that consists mainly of a group of guys that enjoy riding together...There are some that are a little far away to make the trips,but they know they are welcome when they can make it....(Oz)...We welcome new comers and any questions they have,and try to make them feel as welcome as possible.....We are NOT brain washers as someone claims,and we are NOT thieves,spys,liars,and some other elect words that have been used to describe us by this said person...We are NOT people who you will hear brag about how much seat time we get,how much money we make,or what we do for a living,because these things don't matter,and if this is the type person you are,then no,we probably wouldn't like you,even though,if you did come on a ride we would still try to make you feel as welcome as we possibly could........We enjoy riding considerably,but not as much as each others company...We are willing to cancel rides because someone can't make it,just because of the friendship shared,and a bad time around a campfire is better than a good day of riding to us.....We know each other on a first name basis,we know each others wives,kids,etc.,and would recognize each other on the street if we passed....Our families have even become close friends,and enjoy each others company as well...We are not a group that will call people names or ask them to leave and never come back because they disagree,unless they disagree in an inappropriate way...One of my kids comes here,and others like myself enjoy keeping this site a place where anyone can feel comfortable reading and asking questions,so if you cannot post without name calling ,and avoid slander and foul language,then go somewhere else....This is where you are Turbo,and this is what we are about...We are NOT a group that criticizes anyone because they choose to go ride with someone we consider to be a darksider or any other brand....We are not idiots or losers...We are friends that care about each other as well as the sport...
These last couple of posts to you have not been intended to make you mad or look bad,it's been to treat you they way you have treated us...If it makes you mad for someone to tell you you shouldn't be getting beat by machines that are ending up in front,or that the tracks you are riding on look tame,or that you should be riding faster than you are,then atleast you know how it makes us feel for someone to say the same thing about us...
Now back to your suspension....
I could post pics of every nut and bolt on this thing,and hours of videos showing the suspension cycleing up and down,or me running around the field and taking jumps,but what exactly would you learn from it?There is no magic bolt to turn that is going to get your suspension dialed in...Your issues are adjustment issues...You need first to learn what adjustments change different aspects of the suspension....You need to learn what effect tie rod length has on the suspension,as well as tie rod angle....You need to understand how rack placement would effect the suspension,because the big heim joints being moved forward and back have the same effect as moving a rack would have...You need to learn how changeing one thing in turn effects something else,and how to make adjustments to both so it cancels out any negative effects changeing something will have...These things can't be learned through a video or a pic...It is a bolt on kit,just like a radio is a bolt on item,but if you don't know how to tune them,neither one is worth a crap....It is not like a quad LT....They consist of longer arms,shocks,and tie rods...Quads don't require a steering system to clear the frame like these machines...That's what makes them hard to tune and get set right...ATV's kit would be a hard install as well without knowing where everything needs to go..You weld the steering pivot in the wrong place and the kit is junk because it will effect the steering...This is just to tell you that certain laws of physics have to be used in any LT for these machines,or they just won't work...
If you want help with it,the first move needs to be made by you...I need to know exactly what is happening with the suspension travel and tow change...I need to know if it tows in or out during the cycle,if it changes in an S shape,and where in the suspension it makes these changes...If there is anything bent or damaged,such as the heim joints you referred too,then they need to be fixed first...If you aren't willing to do these things,then I can't help you...If you are then I can...
I'm not going to take any smart remarks or criticism from you,and I am NOT going to tolerate being called an idiot or a loser....I am NOT going to argue with you about what you should or shouldn't do...You will again be left on your own,because I will take the advice of more than one person that has told me I shouldn't deal with you or try to help you after you have made some of the comments that you have made.....You are in the place that I call home,and you have come here asking for help...I didn't come looking for you...You can either take the advice I give you and do what I tell you to do in the order I tell you to do it,or you can once again go away and figure it out yourself,like I had to do....
Hoodlum

turbotexas

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2009, 09:49:14 PM »
Again I just wanted some video to help me decide if swapping something out would bw worth the effort and then all this drama over hoser came spewwing out??? I even wasted my time trying to find your questions on yoda's kit to see if I could find the answers somewhere since I have spent the last three weeks reading everything I could on all the choices I have...
I didn't start the name calling and really don't know why a bunch of grown men act like this... but again it is my fault??? I will figure this out hoodlum/rooky or whoever you want to call yourself from board to board... I really quite honestly don't trust you... Same as I can't trust Steve at Aftershock after he sent me a kit with missing parts, changed other parts with out explaination and wouldn't take the 10-15 minutes to help me with the questions I had trying to piece this thing together... I will use his a-arms and reconfigure the lawyer links he has to the way Adnoh did his setup... And then can honestly not have to ever worry again that this set up will lock up...
What you need to worry about is not if but when yours will lock up, unless the welded piece that is on your pilot is better than what steve installed on the subframe of my BOLT ON kit... you can read my thread, you know the one that got ME banned from kiwanda's old site and it shows exactly what it is that is bending...
How did I learn how to set it up... by trial and error... which is what a fabber does, not a customer who expected and was sold a "bolt on kit and didn't even get a informative set of directions...
and the comment about the being an A$$ was after your foul reply that was deleted... only because I attempted to help you answer your ALLEDGED questions you claimed to be asking about this Yoda kit????
I am still wondering why you made such a untrue statement??? you never asked anything in the 3-4 threads on www.pilotodyssey.com??? Others have and were answered several times,,, provided links and everything???
how did this turn so ugly???

Do you have any video of yours in action??? I wouild like to see how this is so much different from the 350 to the 400!
I have thought of swapping the arms to the pilot I have to see if it works any better, but need good detailed pictures to copy setup...
ANY pictures of this in action???

Hoodlum