Author Topic: FL350 Rebuild recommendations  (Read 49682 times)

Weed

• View Profile
FL350 Rebuild recommendations
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 11:34:45 PM »
Where did you get the parts????

Where did you get the rod and what thrust washers did you use?

hub350

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 07:46:15 AM »
I purchased on ebay - crank kit and lower end kit. See pictures

Weed

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 09:35:34 PM »
That is what I thought......Oddatv right????  He likes to send me hate mail.

I would have to say the guy you bought them from doesn't know what he is selling.  Your thrust washers are probably to thick.  

The kit I sell has the correct washers and is cheaper.

www.pilotodysseyperformance.com

hub350

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 10:46:59 PM »
Your looks exactly like the same kit I got from your buddy Oddatv. Why would the connecting rod kit be different if its an FL350 kit yours looks the same? Too bad I didn't see your site  sooner.

hub350

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 10:57:58 PM »
Also if you are correct - would that mean my guy would have to tear it down again to replace them? Is there any adjustments?

Keep in mind I could not spin the crankshaft at all, the connector arm was movable - just the crankshaft would not turn - I put some effort into it with no luck at all.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
350 lower end
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 08:27:37 AM »
Quote from: "hub350"
Also if you are correct - would that mean my guy would have to tear it down again to replace them? Is there any adjustments?

Keep in mind I could not spin the crankshaft at all, the connector arm was movable - just the crankshaft would not turn - I put some effort into it with no luck at all.

When you say the conecting rod is movable,how movable is it? It looks like it's standing up by itself in the pics which is way too tight...It should be free enough that it won't stand up alone.....
Chances are the thrust washers are too thick like weed said, and there is no adjustments or way to fix them without tearing down the engine again...
Hoodlum

hub350

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 08:36:20 AM »
Ok so is there a way to purchase new thrust washers only or will I have to buy a connecting rod kit again?

Also what about the siezed crank shaft- Its very tight -  any thoughts ?

Weed

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 09:32:31 PM »
Ok so is there a way to purchase new thrust washers only or will I have to buy a connecting rod kit again?

Also what about the siezed crank shaft- Its very tight -  any thoughts ?

The crankshaft bearings are too tight because the connecting rod+the washers is too wide.  Make sense????

We need to know what washers you do have.  Do you have a set of calipers?

I would question the clowns at your shop, and the guy you bought it from.  Both have let you down.....

I wouldn't be so blunt but I have issues like this happen weekly from customers.  They buy something incorrect or have something done by others that was installed incorrectly.

I am glad you found this place, you have probably saved a bunch of $$$ by catching this in time.

www.pilotodysseyperformance.com

hub350

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 10:23:30 PM »
Weed- How do I get in contact with you -  I registered on your web site but didn't see a contact number or email- need to get together a solid action plan.

Here is what I am going to do -

1. The guy down south shipped me his cylinder( I paid him $50 for it and it cost that much to ship- great guy!!)-Took it today to a shop that sent out my first one to get bored out. I showed Rick the one that cracked and he thinks the guy that bored it the first time screwed it up causing it to crack. Rick said he would make me whole and will take both and have a good cylinder for me.
2. The other guy who did the bottom end work is now MIA. My only choice is to have Rick  fix the other guys mistake. I really wish I just stuck with one shop - lessoned learn.  
3. So I will take the bottom end to Rick tomorrow. He will break it down and verify washers -what do you think I will need besides new thust washers -new gaskets? seals or should everything still be fresh?  New bearings?  Let talk tomorrow and get what I need ordered.

Sorry to turn this into a soap opera - wasn't expecting this much of a headache - thanks for your help.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 08:20:25 AM »
Weed- How do I get in contact with you -  I registered on your web site but didn't see a contact number or email- need to get together a solid action plan.

Here is what I am going to do -

1. The guy down south shipped me his cylinder( I paid him $50 for it and it cost that much to ship- great guy!!)-Took it today to a shop that sent out my first one to get bored out. I showed Rick the one that cracked and he thinks the guy that bored it the first time screwed it up causing it to crack. Rick said he would make me whole and will take both and have a good cylinder for me.
2. The other guy who did the bottom end work is now MIA. My only choice is to have Rick  fix the other guys mistake. I really wish I just stuck with one shop - lessoned learn.  
3. So I will take the bottom end to Rick tomorrow. He will break it down and verify washers -what do you think I will need besides new thust washers -new gaskets? seals or should everything still be fresh?  New bearings?  Let talk tomorrow and get what I need ordered.

Sorry to turn this into a soap opera - wasn't expecting this much of a headache - thanks for your help.

Seals are probably o.k. if you can get the engine apart without screwing them up...As for bearings,it's your call, but when the cases seperate, it puts a side load on the bearings which is not a good thing....I would say change them as well....
Hoodlum

hub350

• View Profile
Making progress
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 10:21:43 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  My cylinder is done - So what I think happened was that the crank and arm were  so tight -and the guy assembled the cylinder to test it and on the up stroke it dug into one side and cracked.

The guy that bored the the second cylinder said the piston was a little bent on the bottom and he was able to fix it. He said it perfect now -he took the studs from my first cylinder.  

Rick is taking apart the bottom end and will get back with me next week.  Rick said it looked like things were not aligned properly -Once I hear back from him I will update.

Thanks Weed for the info.

Weed

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 11:17:57 AM »
No problem, thats why we are here!!!!

hub350

• View Profile
Case split
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 04:22:43 PM »
Ok so Rick called me today and gave me some news on the bottom end.  Basically he said the guy didn't know what the hell he was doing. He said the guy didn't have the right tool and the following needs to be replaced.
-Crankshaft big and small nut
-The big lock tab
-keyway for the flywheel
-small nut on the flywheel

Apparently the guy banged it up pretty good.  Worst nightmare.  
So Rick is taking it to get a second opinion to see if its salvageable.

So my question is, if I need parts and pieces for the bottom end-  Weed could I get those from you or could you recommend who I could reach out to?

fun fun!

hub350

• View Profile
parts needed
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 10:42:15 AM »
I am in need for a couple of parts- both are discontinued from Honda.

One is the crank 32mm hex nut and also the lock tab. If anyone has one available please respond. Thanks

hub350

• View Profile
Almost there!
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2009, 05:51:20 PM »
Well I am getting close. I thought I had everything but am missing the exhaust to cylinder joint. Dang!

Anyway have one coming. I had to order a new clutch bolt from Honda because the duster bolt didn't fit. So now once I get the joint she will be done.  The first guy tore up the bottom end pretty good - Luckily I was able to get most parts I needed from Honda. Anyway here is where I am at.