Author Topic: question from newbie about clutch slipping  (Read 2238 times)

rddog8691

• View Profile
question from newbie about clutch slipping
« on: September 02, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
recently got my hands on a 1985 fl350, which is in really great shape. The question i have is when you first hit the throttle the motor revs up but the buggy doesnt begin to move right away. it seems like it takes a few seconds for the clutch to engage. Is this normal or do i have a problem

blkinfinitii30

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 11:06:32 AM »
I would get a new quality belt first...

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: question from newbie about clutch slipping
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 04:11:30 PM »
Quote from: "rddog8691"
recently got my hands on a 1985 fl350, which is in really great shape. The question i have is when you first hit the throttle the motor revs up but the buggy doesnt begin to move right away. it seems like it takes a few seconds for the clutch to engage. Is this normal or do i have a problem

Is it a stock clutch or a comet? If it's a comet, it could very well be tuned to engage at a much higher rpm than stock does...This is a benefit unless it's set too high...
Hoodlum

rddog8691

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 08:58:21 PM »
to be honest with you i have no idea if it is stock or not i havent got a chance to pull the cover off and check but it does look like the belt is in realy good shape.

blkinfinitii30

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 12:34:40 AM »
Yeah, hoodlum's rite it it does take a minute for the clutch to engage, it  just seems like its slipping but it's probobly not..

redskinman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 01:46:37 AM »
I just bought my ody in Jan and have had the same problem.Took clutch off,it was the stock clutch,inspected it for wear and sprayed comet clutch lube on parts and put it back together,still did the same thing.So Ive been driving it like that.Finally bought a new belt and tried it out today,that made a world of difference.It wont sit still in gear now,it takes off{I need to adjust the idle lower}I'm sure that clutch will probably need to be replaced pretty soon,but I would try a new belt first and see what happens,because now mine is engaging right away and before I had to blip the throttle pretty good for it to take off