Author Topic: Maintenance Questions  (Read 1220 times)

cruz01

• View Profile
Maintenance Questions
« on: December 26, 2007, 10:04:47 PM »
I had a question about maintenance issues with my oddy. My oddy has a standard Salisbury clutch and I wanted to know if it needs to be lubricated periodically. If that's something I should be doing, could I use the Comet dry lube? Also, does the driven clutch need attention as well?

My other question is whether or not I should be lubricating the joints to the rear wheel axles. I am assuming I should be lubricating the joint but what's the best way to lube it from preventing any excess friction?

Weed

• View Profile
Maintenance Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 07:08:07 PM »
Hey cruz,

I have removed all the stock clutches from my machines and now have Comets on everything.  It wouldn't hurt to have some type of lube for the rollers and the cams for the stock clutch.  The 102c comet works on the same principal as the stock clutch and I lube it up every time I use it.

A dry moly or graphite lube will do the trick; it will spray on as a liquid and evaporate leaving the film of dry lubrication behind.  You can also spray the slippers and shaft of the driven clutch to keep everything in good working order.  Try to keep the stuff off the clutch faces, you don't want the belt to slip.

I am not sure what you are referring to on the rear.  The u-joints?  Heim joints?  Shock pivot points?  

I assume the u-joints, well you are out of luck there.  They are a sealed unit and cannot be lubricated unless they are disassembled.  Those buggers are not easy to take remove without destroying the u-joint.  I usually cut them out with a torch and replace will new.  They should last 15 years without any other maintance when replacing with new joints and good moly grease, not the Vaseline looking shit they come with.  I always replace the crappy grease with good stuff when I rebuild anything.

I did get your email and I need to order some more, I have to build them from several parts that I order.  I may be changing to a different setup so if you need it now.....Randy at Odyssey salvage has a replacement that works.  If you need anything else let me know.