Author Topic: my 250 is a pain in the  (Read 1614 times)

Dr Rockso

• View Profile
my 250 is a pain in the
« on: December 21, 2007, 02:45:48 PM »
arm , i got this 82 odyssey 250 and it refuses to start without pouring gas down the cylinder . it has good compression , the choke works , the carb has gas , the plug even comes out wet . you can pull all day and it won't start , you have to pour gas down the cylinder . my friends odyssey doesn't do this , his never needs priming , and his gas tank is full of rust , so much so that he has to blow the filter out every ride . my tank is 100% clean . it's really starting to get me angry .once it starts it's good for the rest of the day , starts first pull every time after that , revvs all the way up no problem , idles great .  i seem to always get vehicles with a phantom unexplainable problem where no ammount of new parts or adjustments fix it . i'm really running out of ideas , anyone here have any ?

i've ordered a primer bulb to put in line but i really don't think that'll fix the problem , i know it's got gas in the carb but it won't start off just that .

PilotHawK

• View Profile
my 250 is a pain in the
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 04:49:52 PM »
could you define "compression" I had a 250 once that was near impossible to start, but after that it would run fine. Finally checked the compression with a decent screw in compression gauge, and it was 90 PSI. The cranking compression should be between 120 and 130 PSI. After I had the cylinder bored and installed a new piston and rings, it started great.

Weed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 05:01:33 PM »
I bought a 90 pilot two years ago that would do the same thing.  I could start it on either, and you could start it all day long with out any extra help after that.

I found that the top ring was stuck and the compression was low enough that it needed alittle extra effort to get her going.

Dr Rockso

• View Profile
my 250 is a pain in the
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 07:23:42 PM »
i'm still trying to find my compression tester , but my friends odyssey is parked right next to mine and his is exactly as hard to pull , but his starts without priming . i realize that isn't very accurate but if the compression is low i'll be really surprised , it sure doesn't pull like it's low and i'm a pretty big guy .

Dr Rockso

• View Profile
my 250 is a pain in the
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 11:54:37 PM »
well the compression tester is obviously hiding where ever my screwdrivers and socks disappear to . i got my primer bulb today and hooked it up , gave it a few squeezes and the ody started second pull . i'm pretty sure my old fuel pump has had it . i ordered one of those mikuni fuel pumps and hopefully it should be here soon . hopefully the temperature didn't have much to do with it . it was 50 degrees out today , a little warmer than it's been but i'm pretty sure i've had to start it by pouring gas in the cylinder at similar temperatures before . either way i think the fuel pump was my problem the whole time . you could pull and pull and the fuel would barely rise in the line , then it would drain right back out , the primer sure helps . if anyone else has this problem i suggest you try the $18 mikuni fuel pump and the $5 boat primer bulb .

now if my friend can get his stupid clutch off (rusted to the shaft) so he can switch out brake disks  we'll have 2 odysseys . i may have to get a bigger truck , the ody barely fits in my sonoma stepside . the wheels have to sit on the tail gate and they cover my brake lights . i'm going to have to make some lights to stick on the odyssey when i'm taking it places .

aas5f6

• View Profile
Update
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 07:31:08 AM »
Give us a update!!!!??!?!?